Monday, February 2, 2009

Fun Lunch for Kids- Kung Fu Panda Noodles and Berry Smoothie


My husband loves fast food. I mean, he really loves it. He actually thinks that it tastes good. Me- not so much. I really don't care for it, but occasionally take the kids to meet dad for lunch somewhere. Last time we went to Carls Jr and they gave the kids these cute little take-out containers as their toy. I put them in the car and on the way to the grocery store, I came up with an idea for a cute lunch at home. Kung Fu Panda Noodles. If you have seen the movie, then you know that Po (the Panda) works for his dad serving noodles at their restaurant. Perfect!
I love the fresh Chinese noodles that they have in the refrigerated section, by the tofu and wonton wrappers. They cook up really quickly and taste great with Asian or Thai dishes.
I decided to make a quick peanut sauce, cook up the noodles and some veggies and serve them in the cute little Kung Fu Panda containers. My daughter was looking through a recent Kids cookbook, a Disney themed one, and told me she wanted me to make her the smoothie in the picture. Complete with the pink straw, which has a berry on it. Smoothies are easy, so I complied with her wishes and served up this great lunch. It was fun and an easy way to spruce up an everyday lunch!

Kung Fu Panda Noodles by Mary Ann
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
3-4 Tbls reduced sodium soy sauce
1/4 cup water
garlic salt
2 tsp dark sesame oil
3 cups broccoli florets
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 large carrot, thinly sliced
1 cup frozen edamame
2 pkg. fresh chinese noodles
Combine the broccoli, bell pepper, and carrot in a large microwavable bowl. Add a little bit of water. Cover with plastic wrap and steam until veggies are tender.
Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add edamame and boil for 2 minutes. Add fresh noodles and cook for 3 more minutes. Drain.
In a small glass bowl combine peanut butter and 1 Tbls soy sauce. Heat in the microwave for 20 seconds and stir. Add another Tbls of soy sauce and heat for 20 more seconds. Stir and add water to thin it out a little bit.
Add more soy sauce to taste.
In a large bowl, toss noodles with freshly steamed veggies and peanut sauce. Stir until all noodles are evenly coated and veggies are distributed. Serve in little take-out containers or in a bowl.

Berry Smoothie adapted from Disney Cookbook
1 banana, sliced
1 1/2 cups assorted berries (we used strawberries and blackberries)
6 oz vanilla yogurt
3/4 cup skim milk
drizzle of honey
Combine all ingredients in blender. Serve with a straw, which has a berry through it.

Up Next- Tuesdays with Dorie- World Peace Cookies

12 comments:

Steph said...

What a creative way to serve noodles! I love all the meals you create for your family...so much better than fast food!!!

Barbara Bakes said...

What a cute idea. I'm sure it made it so much more fun to eat!

Donna-FFW said...

Perfect with the peanut butter, great way for the kids to like this. And the smoothie.. yum!

Prudy said...

Wyhat a great idea. My kids would love it!

Cathy said...

This looks AWESOME! My son would like the peanut flavor in the noodles. The smoothie looks great too -- I think we have that cookbook!

Maria said...

I hate fast food, luckily Josh does too. We rarely eat out and if we do it not fast food..SLC does have some good restaurants. Anyways...cute idea! I love it!! I saw Kung Fu Panda, it was a fun show!!

Anonymous said...

What a fun idea. Kung Fu Panda was a great movie.

Karen said...

Looks like so much fun!

Sophie said...

I'm not much of a fast food eater either, but I love the idea of serving up a tasty lunch that puts all fast food to shame! Those containers are so cute!

The Blonde Duck said...

I've got a thing for fast food burgers. It's sad, I know. But only certain joints and late at night!

Mandy said...

Brilliant!! I'm so trying this, my boys LOVE Ku Fu Panda!! And I know they'll love this too!!

Unknown said...

Genius iwth the noodles! I can't wait to try it!