Tuesday, February 17, 2009

TWD- Devil's Food White Out Cupcakes


This weeks Tuesday's with Dorie recipe was chosen by Stephanie, who blogs over at Confessions of a City Eater. The recipe she chose was Devil's Food White Out Cake, which is the cake that is on the cover of Dorie's Baking book.
Yes, that lovely 3-layer cake with tons of billowy marshmallow frosting. You might be wondering where that beautiful cake is? Well, I turned the triple layer goodness into cupcakes and made a different frosting. Its not that I didn't want to make the gorgeous cake, but my hubby wanted some treats to take to work and cupcakes are easier to distribute than cake. And, I am all for giving the baked goods away. Then I can enjoy the process of baking but don't have to worry about eating all of the baked goodness.
I have made Dorie's marshmallow frosting before, when I made these Lime Cupcakes for Cupcake Hero. It is really good, light and fluffy, but it took me forever to get the sugar syrup to the right temperature and well, I was in a hurry this time. My hubby requested treats as he was leaving for work and asked if I could have them ready by 1. Not really a problem, but since I was making these cupcakes and 2 other cookies, I didn't have all day to stand there and wait for the frosting to come together. Plus, after making Peabody's to die for Chocolate Malted Cupcakes with Whipped Cream Frosting, I decided that my absolute favorite frosting for cupcakes is sweetened whipped cream. I just started whipping some cream and added alot of powdered sugar and vanilla. You can get great height and the frosting is always light, well at least it tastes light. I have to say that the actual cake (I tasted a crumb before I sent them all away) was a little too chocolately and dark for my tastes. Peabody's Chocolate Malted Cupcakes are my favorite chocolate cupcake. To see some beautiful takes on this recipe, go check out the Tuesday's with Dorie Blogroll and visit Stephanie's blog for the recipe!
Doesn't this frosting look like a soft-serve ice cream cone? Yum!

Coming Tomorrow- Curried Lentil Soup with Kale

29 comments:

Anonymous said...

yummy!!!
Work from home

Marthe said...

Your cupcakes look delicious!

Steph said...

Your cupcakes look so cute! You're right, nothing beats whipped cream.

Leslie said...

Mmm... whipped cream sounds perfect! I also made cupcakes and gave them away. We love chocolate so these were yummy.

Chef Jeena said...

Look at those whipped creamy tops YUM!

Amanda said...

They look beautiful! I loved the cake, it was worth the trouble :)

Maria said...

I love how you transformed the cake into cupcakes! Too cute!

Nancy/n.o.e said...

Your cupcakes are too fabulous! That whipped cream looks amazing and I know it was good with this cake. The cake is chocolaty and dark but not super sweet, so I thought it was a great layer cake. At least you have to your go-to chocolate cake recipe now.

Cathy said...

Ever time I read one of your TWD posts, I think to myself "I should have asked Mare what she was doing before I baked this thing." Because I always wish that I did what you did! Love this frosting, love the cupcakes! I am clearly going to have to try Peabody's cupcakes next.

chocolatechic said...

**a bit to chocolatey**

Oh, how my heart breaks to hear someone say that....

Sigh...I guess I'll just have to eat more to make up for it.

farah said...

Ooh, i love your cupcakes, they look fantastic! Good job!

The Food Hunter said...

You're cupcakes look so good. The frosting just makes them.

Jennifer said...

I wish I had your talent with the frosting, mine never looks that pretty!
(Oh, and I must now make the chocolate malted cupcakes as my husband is a malt lover.)

Kelley said...

I have asked my husband very sweetly (pun intended) to get me this book for my birthday. I made several things out of it when I checked it out of the library, and I am thoroughly impressed. Those cupcakes look delicious, too. Yum!

Sophie said...

Yes, it does look like a soft serve ice cream cone! Very yummy, indeed--you always have such beautifully frosted cupcakes :).

The Food Librarian said...

Yummy! I love the ice cream swirl a la frosting. They are too cute!

Pamela said...

I'm all for cupcakes! And I love that tall swirl of frosting! They look great.

Sabrina said...

Wow! Those look amazing! Nice work!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful cupcakes. The frosting is beyond describing. YUMM. I will have to try it

Anonymous said...

You've got me TOTALLY wanting that frosting! I'll have to try it!

Anonymous said...

I was so tempted to make cupcakes this week. Your's look gorgeous. Perfectly decorated and yummy.

Peggy said...

I love the cupcakes! And that swirl of frosting. YUM.

steph- whisk/spoon said...

they do look like soft serve! i'm sure they were a hit with hubby's coworkers!

Unknown said...

Your cupcakes look amazing! I can only imagine how delicious whipped cream would be with this cake!

Marie Rayner said...

Your cupcakes are adorable Mary Ann! Delicious looking as always!

TeaLady said...

Those cup cakes are just to die for. They look delicious.

Anonymous said...

Those look great -- I love the ice cream cone look!

Engineer Baker said...

Wow, that's a lot of frosting on those cupcakes! Not that I'm complaining or anything :) Beautiful job!

Ingrid_3Bs said...

How pretty are those. Love your frosting job!
~ingrid