Tuesday, February 24, 2009

TWD- Caramel Crunch Bars and Rewind- Mixed Berry Cobbler

This week's Tuesdays with Dorie recipe, Caramel Crunch Bars, was chosen by Whitney over at What's left on the table? You can find the recipe on her blog or go to this POST and find the recipe from when I made these last year. This recipe is one of the pictures in the book that really catches your eye. I made them last year when my hubby needed some treats for work and I made them into ice cream bars, like Dorie suggests, which turned out to be a very messy adventure. No one seemed to mind the fact that they were so messy. They disappeared quickly. The picture isn't great, but hey, it was taken many months ago. I rarely make something more than once, unless it is unbelievably the best dessert ever. Just because I like baking new things all the time. I haven't made these again, but I do remember them being a hit.
I also did a rewind this past week. For some reason back in June, I skipped out on the Mixed Berry Cobbler. I needed one to take to a get together recently, so I went back and made it. Very good. I doubled the fruit and 1 1/2x the crust, to make it fit in a 9x13-inch pan. I used mostly blackberries, but also some raspberries, blueberries and a few strawberries and lime zest. You can find the recipe for the cobbler- Here.
Now go and see what the other TWD'ers did with this weeks recipe!

Up Next- Pork Tenderloin with Blueberry Sauce

22 comments:

Peggy said...

Mary Ann these look fabulous. Mine were undercooked and too buttery. I love the cobbler. I'll have to try that one!

Peggy said...

OOh and I am your first comment of the day! Wow. I'm up early.

Steph said...

Wow Mare, those icecream sandwiches sure look delicious. I know what you mean about making the same recipe twice. I don't think I ever make the same thing unless its chocoalte chip cookies. There's just not enough time!

Amanda said...

Love the way your ice cream sandwiches look! I tried them too but they were way too hard to eat LOL

Sophie said...

Lovely, those ice cream bars look like something I'd want to make over and over again :D!

Maria said...

I have made the cobbler and loved it!! I still need to try the caramel bars, they look very tasty, and with ice cream, even better!

Nancy/n.o.e said...

Your cobbler looks good and so do those ice cream bars! I don't get the chance to repeat much, the TWD baking is about as many sweets as we need! I do repeat if it's breakfast-able, b/c my hubby eats carbs like mad in the am.
Nancy

Prudy said...

Oh yummy. They both look so good.

Anonymous said...

I can't wait for summer to make the cobbler. I missed out on it too.

The ice cream sandwiches were messy, but like you say no one cared! (by no one, I mean mostly me :P )

farah said...

These look really good! Yum!

chocolatechic said...

Oh...your ice cream bars look wonderful.

Jennifer said...

The icecream sandwiches do look great and make me long for a warm summer day!
(And I agree about not making something twice, other than almond sandies and chocolate chip cookies I usually make something different each time.)

TeaLady said...

Those look wonderful, M.A. Great job.

Unknown said...

Did your mom tell you that when the cobbler was served I looked through all of them and went to yours FROM APPEARANCE- over everyone elses? After I started raving about it- is when your mom told me it was made by you!

Cathy said...

I really wish I made at least one ice cream sandwich from my batch, especially after looking at your picture! And your cobbler looks delicious too! I'm with you -- I don't repeat much. There are a few exceptions to that (World Peace Cookies) but in general, there is always something new and delicious sounding to try!

Laura Dawn said...

save some caramel crunch bars for me!!! Oh my goodness, they look so yummy. I have to taste one.

Not Another Omnivore said...

That bottom picture is scrumptious!

NAOmni

Pamela said...

It's so funny you are posting about this now, because I've been craving that cobbler recently! Something about that sweet fruit with the crust was so comforting. But...I'm trying to eat better, so I would have to really scale back the recipe. I wouldn't want to waste all of that yumminess. Great job.

Unknown said...

Your ice cream sandwiches look adorable! Nice job!

Anonymous said...

That's an awesome two-fer this week! The bars look delicious and so does your cobbler!!! And I think the picture of your bars is great!

Marie Rayner said...

Your cobbler and your ice cream sandwiches look fab Mary Ann! I need to make these ice cream sandwiches. I still have a few of the bars left and can you believe it, they taste even better a few days later than they did on the first day!

The Food Librarian said...

Wow! Both look so wonderful! I love love cobbler!