Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Pork Tenderloin with Blueberry Sauce

We have a winner! I went to random.org and used their random number generator to chose a number between 1 and 65. The winner was #4-Anna. she said "I truly love all seasons but down in the southern hemisphere we have had a bit of wild hot weather so I am looking forward to Winter this year - slow cooked roasts, steamy soupy laksas on Sunday afternoons, homemade baked beans and pork sausages and Mum's bottled Summer fruits are always beautiful in the winter, warmed and served with hot custard." Congrats Anna and thanks everyone who entered the giveaway!
Now on to the food.
This dinner caught my eye when I was flipping through a magazine at the grocery store. I usually skip to the back of any magazine that I know features recipes and try to see if there is anything worth making. This issue of Family Circle had quite a few healthy meals that looked really great. I have never made a blueberry sauce to accompany meat, so I thought this would be a great recipe to try out on my family.
I was a little suspicious of the blueberry sauce, because it smelled so much like vinegar, but everyone agreed that the sauce and the pork really complimented each other and it tasted delicious.
It called for green beans to roast alongside the pork, but I couldn't find any good looking fresh green beans, so I just substituted Kale and turned it into Kale Chips. I also served sauteed Kale with Bell Peppers on the side, because we just really love Kale around here. Does your family love Kale?
Pork Tenderloin with Blueberry Sauce from Family Circle Magazine
Prep: 15 minutes Cook: 8 minutes Roast: 25 minutes
Ingredients
1 pork tenderloin (about 1-1/4 pounds)
2 teaspoons sodium-free chicken grilling blend (such as Mrs. Dash) (I used McCormick grill seasoning)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
12 ounces green beans, ends trimmed (I used kale instead)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
1-1/2 cup frozen blueberries, thawed
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
Directions
1. Heat oven to 400°F. Rub pork with chicken seasoning and 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper and place in a roasting pan. Roast at 400°F for 25 minutes, until internal temperature registers 155°F.
2. When 10 minutes of cooking time remain, remove pan and spread green beans around pork; drizzle with 1/2 tablespoon olive oil. Stir beans and return pan to oven.
3. Heat remaining 1/2 tablespoon olive oil in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook onion 3 minutes. Add blueberries, vinegar, sugar, thyme and remaining 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper to saucepan; cook for 5 minutes or until thickened. Serve pork with sauce.

Up Tomorrow-Barefoot Bloggers- Meringues with Pomegranate Gelato

10 comments:

Jessica said...

This sounds like something I'd love! Your photos really sell the dish!

Aggie said...

Wow that recipe is really different! Looks delish!

I am trying to like kale...I really am. I don't dislike it, I just haven't been wowed by it just yet. I want to try kale chips.

Marie Rayner said...

That pork looks fabulous Mary Ann!! But then again, everything you make looks delicious and like something I would love to eat!

Maria said...

Congrats to the winner!! The blueberry sauce sounds great to me!

Cathy said...

I LOVE the blueberry sauce. And I love that you worked in kale :-) I always know exactly where to come for my kale recipes!

Anonymous said...

Congrats to the winner!
The blueberry sauce sounds delicious. YUM.

Sophie said...

We love kale and blueberries :). I've only tried pork chops with apples, but I need to remember this! How exciting--and I thought I could only have blueberries in baked goods :).

Steph said...

Yum, blueberry sauce looks delicious.

Not Another Omnivore said...

Blueberry sauce...that's very creative and great sounding...then again blueberries are great...

I heard once, although I can't back this up, that blueberries help with varicose veins. Since then I have always felt especially good when eating blueberries :)

NAOmni

Charms said...

creuset outlet

Haven't tried to eat Pork Tenderloin in a Blueberry Sauce but with the looks of this one, I am curious on what it tastes like. I am planning to prepare one this coming weekend.