Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Peabody's Chocolate Malted Cupcakes with Chocolate Malted Milk Whipped Cream Frosting

The best chocolate cupcake ever and frosting too!
I love it when people ask me to bake treats for them. I can create something delicious, but then I get to share it, so I don't have to worry about all the calories. My dad asked me to bake some treats for a party at work and I got started first thing in the morning. I have been wanting to make these Chocolate Malted Cupcakes that I saw over at Culinary Concoctions by Peabody, for a really long time. They were on my super long list of things I wanted to bake (Does anyone else do this?)
It just hadn't worked out yet.
This was the perfect opportunity. I made the cupcakes in the morning, then let them cool while I went to a meeting and ran some errands. Then the power went out.
My dad's meeting was cancelled and I had 2 dozen cupcakes, waiting to be frosted and eaten.
A few hours later, the power came back on, so I whipped up the frosting, which is the most delicious frosting I have ever tasted, and set out to give these suckers away.
They didn't last long. I took them to a couple of neighbors and friends and they were gone. I even forgot to save one for my son. He was a little upset. But, I told him not to worry, these will be my go-to chocolate cupcake.
The cupcake is super moist and has the best flavor- the malt is really subtle. The frosting is TO DIE FOR! If you need some cupcakes, these will make you and your friends very happy. Update- I only baked these for 22-23 minutes and they were done, so keep that in mind if you make these!





Go to Peabody's blog to get the recipe- the link is below.
Coming Tomorrow- Craving Ellie- Teriyaki Tofu

22 comments:

Audrey and the Boys said...

Those pictures are amazing. The cupcakes look scrumptious!

Barbara Bakes said...

I'm going to have to try these after such a rave review!

Maria said...

Glad you loved these!! Since they are the best, I have to try them now!!

Anonymous said...

That is totally on my list of things to make next. That looks amazing!

Unknown said...

These REALLY were the best cupcakes! The frosting was SO good. I ate one and then another immediately after the first. Thanks again!

Laura said...

Oh, Mare! That frosting does look to die for. I am definitely gonna have to make that one!

Aggie said...

Ok, these look unbelievable. I LOVE CHOCOLATE MALT!! Your cupcakes and your photos look great girl.

Anonymous said...

I love malt flavor. Those look awesome. I like to make cupcakes for my kids birthday parties instead of a sheet cake because I am the one always eating the leftovers, and this way, I can send leftovers with the kids! I will be making this for my sons party next month. Thanks!

Cathy said...

I cannot make these fast enough, and as usual, I am blown away by your pictures!

Nancy/n.o.e said...

Great job getting rid of them - they look sooo good and sooo tempting!
Nancy

Anonymous said...

Those cupcakes look adorable. I'll keep this recipe in mind for a time I need to make treats.

Sophie said...

If only malt didn't contain gluten, I'll just enjoy these on the screen...they're beautiful!

Steph said...

Mary ann, those look fabulous! No wonder they're your go to chocoalte cupcake. I wonder how it will compare with the devil's food cake for Twd?

Anonymous said...

What a great recommendation for a cupcake - my husband complains that they are often to dry. I'll definitely have to try these.

Mary Ann said...

Thanks for the comments everybody. I really hope that you try these and if you do, get back to me on how much you liked them.
Steph- I made the TWD devil's food cake into cupcakes too and these malted chocolate cupcakes blew them out of the water. The devil's food was very dark.

Cheri said...

I haven't tried these cupcakes yet but I did want you to know I tried the Jicama salad from Jan 10. and also the prosciutto fontina spinach chicken rolls from Jan 9th. they were so delicious. thanks for the recipe..

Peabody said...

Glad you liked them. They are one of my favorites.

steph- whisk/spoon said...

boy those look good! i love malt!

Anonymous said...

These look so pretty ad delicious!

Y said...

Great cupcakes! I have an extremely long list of must-bakes, and have only managed to cross two things off so far, I think.

Ingrid_3Bs said...

I enjoy baking for others especially children....they'll eat anything if it is called dessert & they never complain and are always so thrilled to have something "homemade"! Your son sounds like one of mine. He always gets a little put out when I give away the dessert I've made. His first question is not what are you making but is that for us or are you giving it away! LOL!

Your cupcakes look so pretty. You did a fantastic job on the frosting!
~ingrid

Refa said...

great cupcake

i tried it yesterday and it was a huge failure for me and i don't know why ??

it was soft in the middle

maybe because i used ovaltine the one with chocolate and i should have used ovaltine malted without chocolate.


i will try it again with the white malted and see the results