Saturday, April 4, 2009

Whole Wheat Pitas


A couple of years ago, my friend shared this recipe for pita bread. It is really easy and I have been making it for years now. Sometimes I make the recipe into whole wheat pitas and sometimes, I use only all-purpose flour.
The trick to getting the pitas just right is making sure your watch them in the oven, so you know when to flip them over.
We love eating them plain, but the are also fantastic with fillings and toppings. We used them this time as a base for Turkish Pizzas- watch for the recipe on Monday, they were really good!

Zohar's Pita Bread
1 packet yeast
1/4 cup warm water
1 tsp sugar
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup warm water
1/2 tsp salt

1. Mix first 3 ingredients, then add the next 3 ingredients.
2. Knead for 10 minutes, and let rise for 30 minutes.
3. Take a ball of dough just smaller than your palm and roll it very thin (1/4 inch) with a little flour on the surface and a rolling pin as needed.
4. Place 2 rounds on an ungreased cookie sheet and broil about 5 inches from the top element until they puff up and start to turn light brown in spots. This goes very fast so you have to watch closely and do not get distracted. Turn them over and brown on the other side. This will only take half as long as the first side.
5. Repeat with remaining dough.


Coming Tomorrow- 2 Muffins and 4-Grain Pancakes

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Turkish pizzas sound interesting. Can't wait to see them. Your pitas look amazing!

Marie Rayner said...

Your pita breads look fantastic Mary Ann! Much nicer than anything I've ever seen in a shop!

Eliana said...

These look awesome. And turkish pizzas? I'm going to turkey on vacation next month so I am very much looking forward to your next post.

Kim said...

They look beautiful. I have been wanting to make some pitas at home. Nothing is better than fresh baked bread, or pitas, etc. I'm excited to see the turkish pizza too!

Unknown said...

these look perfect! must try :)

Unknown said...

Where have I been??!! I have missed like 10 posts! I have been wanting to make my own pitas so I am excited to try these! Thanks!