Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Not really TWD but the word shortcake is involved-- Strawberry Shortcake Cookies

I feel kinda bad about not making this weeks TWD recipe, because it was chosen by one of my favorite bloggers ever- Cathy, who blogs over at The Tortefeasor. (You can find the recipe over on her blog- My apologies to you Cathy!). Even if you aren't interested in the recipe you should go read her blog. She is funny and entertaining and I love her blog.

I have a couple of projects going on with my kids that involve cooking/baking this summer and I just couldn't fit the TWD baking into our schedule. Plus, I am trying not to bake more than once or twice a week (unless it is for someone else) just for the basic health of our family.

I made these cookies last month when we went to pick strawberries and hadn't posted the recipe yet, so I decided they would be an okay substitute since they are shortcake, in a way.

I had so many fresh strawberries that I didn't know what to do with all of them. I found this recipe and it looked like an interesting twist on shortcake.
The cookies are made like a biscuit or scone, with the butter being cut into the dry ingredients and then the cream being added to bring it all together.

I used a little bit more chopped strawberries than called for and it made a really wet dough. The cookies still worked though, they just aren't as pretty as Martha's. oh well.



Recipe for Strawberry-Shortcake Cookies
* I used half & half instead of cream, since I had that on hand.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Your cookies sound really good! I'm always looking for ways to use strawberries.

Unknown said...

I think they look gorgeous, colorful and fruity.

Mary Bergfeld said...

Mary Ann, these really look wonderful. Our strawberry season has just begun and I need all the recipes I can get to use them to full advantage. I hope you are having a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

Bella Baker said...

your cookies look incredible! I really want to give this recipe a try!!!!

Kayte said...

These look wonderful, very worthy of the title of shortcake...yum. Thanks for sharing.

Diana's Cocina said...

I have added this recipe to my bake list. I jusr adore strawberries!