Friday, June 18, 2010

Chard Quiche

I was looking for another way to use swiss chard a couple weeks ago and somehow found this recipe for Chard Quiche.

The thing that interested me the most, was the fact that the crust is made of wheat germ, flour, and sauteed chard. That's it. No butter, no shortening, etc.
This made me happy because my least favorite part of traditional quiches, is the pie-type crust. That is why we usually opt for frittatas for dinner when eggs are making an appearance.
I also had exactly 1 cup of whole milk in my fridge leftover from some dessert that needed to be used.

I might have used more chard than the recipe called for. I didn't weigh it or measure it. I figure it is okay to err on the side of more vegetables.
I also just used whatever cheese I had in the fridge. Happened to be mozzarella.

This was a really good quiche. I really loved the hearty/healthier crust.

The leftovers were good too.
This would be a great one to serve at brunch or dinner.

Recipe for Chard Quiche
* I used a little less oil than called for to cook the chard
* I used mozzarella cheese

2 comments:

rebecca @ beurrista said...

Though I love regular quiche crusts (buttery and flaky!), I just happened upon an unopened box of toasted wheat germ deep in my pantry. I think this is the perfect recipe to try it out! How did the crust hold up when you cut it?

Best ice shaver said...

ice shaver machine
best ice shaver
best undercounter ice maker
margarita machine
best gelato maker
best portable ice maker
snow cone flavors
commercial snow cone machine
slush machine
manual ice shaver