Friday, June 4, 2010

Heirloom Tomato and Basil Tart

I planted basil a couple of months ago and it has really been producing and growing quite a bit.
I love growing my own herbs because it saves me so much money and because it is fun to just walk out the door and snip what I need for dinner.

My hubby doesn't really care for pesto and he can't stand tomatoes, so I waited until we had a family dinner at his mom's house to make this recipe. I knew there would be enough other people who like both of those things to help get this eaten.

Making pesto is so easy. I reduced the oil in the recipe by quite a bit (I only used 1/4 cup) because I like my pesto less oily and a little bit thicker.

This turned out to be a really simple, delicious tart. Great for a group/party. And perfect for summertime when basil and tomatoes are at their peak.

Recipe for Heirloom Tomato and Basil Tart
* I only used 1/4 cup oil in my pesto

5 comments:

Holly said...

Oh this tart looks sooooo yummy! I love tomatoes!:)

Marie Rayner said...

That looks delicious Mary Ann. I often make my own pesto. It's so much nicer than anything you can buy in a shop!

Unknown said...

Your tart is beautiful Mary Ann! My basil plant is growing like crazy, I really need to make pesto soon.

Kerstin said...

What a gorgeous tart! It's definitely perfect for a summer potluck!

Julie said...

That tart is just a thing of beauty! Very nice indeed :)