Saturday, June 19, 2010

Mango Shaved Ice

One of my favorite things about summer, besides the sun, swimming, no school, okay nevermind- I basically love everything about summer!

Anyway, one of my favorite things about summer is all of the fresh fruit and frozen fruit concoctions that you can make as a refreshing treat after being outside in the heat.
These types of treats are our favorite summer desserts.

This is basically the same recipe as the Fresh Mango sauce that I made a couple of months ago to top my brother's b-day cake, but this time the mango puree is frozen.

I actually forgot to stir my mango mixture every 1/2 hour and it still turned out great.
A perfect sweet treat for a hot day.




Mango Shaved Ice by Kathleen Daeleman
3 ripe mangoes- peeled, seeded, and cut into chunks
1/4 cup fresh lime juice- more or less, to taste
3 Tbls superfine sugar- more or less, to taste

Puree mango chunks in a blender or food processor until very smooth. Add lime juice and sugar. Pulse to combine.

Pour into a shallow flat baking dish or pan that will fit easily in your freezer. Freeze until frozen through, about 2 hours, stirring every 1/2 hour to break up the ice crystals.
Scrape with a fork and serve.

* She suggests that you can make shaved ice with any pureed fruit you want. Aim for 2 1/2 cups of liquid fruit puree.

6 comments:

Mandie said...

This sounds great -- although I wouldn't call it shave ice. Traditionally, shave ice is ice that's actually been shaved, and then has a syrup poured over it. This is much closer to a granita. Anyway, I can't wait to make this! I will definitely be picking up some mangoes the next time I go shopping.

Diana's Cocina said...

I love anything mango! Sounds delicious.

Eliana said...

The perfect summer treat :)

Tracey said...

Yum!! I love mango and this would be such a fun treat this summer.

Amanda said...

Sounds delicious mare, gave you a stumble!

julia bandth said...

I'm certainly very happy to read this blog site posts which carries plenty of helpful data, thanks for providing such information. shaved ice cups