Friday, August 5, 2011

Mini Key Lime Pies and a Great Summer Lunch Menu

A couple of months ago I was asked to cater a luncheon for the Department Head of one of the schools at UGA. When I started planning my menu, I decided what dessert I wanted to make first and then planned the rest of the menu around that. I saw these adorable Mini Key Lime Pies and I knew they would be the perfect summer treat and a great way to end any summer lunch.
The main dish was this delicious salad which I have made many times before and since this event. It is one of the best tasting salads and I love the cute presentation of each individual serving in mason jars.


I can't ever go wrong with the simple roasted shrimp that my family loves, so I added that to the menu as well.
The last thing I made was this wonderful Red Lentil dip that is served with pita chips. I remember when I first made it a couple years ago and it is seriously one of the best dips ever invented.
The luncheon was an overwhelming success and I got wonderful, positive feedback. It was so much fun to organize, put together and present this meal. I love making delicious food and sharing it with other people.

Here is the recipe for Greek Salad with Orzo and Black-eyed Peas from epicurious (I made it exactly as the recipes states this time) and here is my adaptation when I made it last time

Here is the basic recipe for the Roasted Shrimp, this time I added a little Greek Seasoning to the shrimp and roasted them at 450 degrees for 7 minutes

Here is the recipe for Garlicky Red Lentil Dal with my changes, originally from Cooking Light

Here is the recipe for Mini Key Lime Pies as seen on Plum Pie
* I doubled the recipe for the crust and made 8 mini pies
*I made a sweetened whipped cream topping, but not with rum- just vanilla and powdered sugar


4 comments:

-Laura said...

Hey, I remember that! ;) you saved my life that day! And it was delicious...yum...

Melanie said...

How cool to be asked to cater an event like that. Sounds like a wonderful menu! I wish I could've attended the luncheon:)
In the red lentil dal, is it cayenne pepper that you use for the ground red pepper?? It just seems like it would be pretty spicy if you use that much cayenne.

Anonymous said...

Wow - were they lucky to have you to cater!! What a wonderful lunch you laid out and those mini key lime pies are the prettiest little things--YUM
Mary

Anonymous said...

its yummy.....to know more about health and The external cast is usually
rhinoplasty seattle