Last week my mother-in-law celebrated her birthday and of course we had to make her some sort of sweet treat to show our appreciation for all the love, care and help she gives our family.
We had fresh blueberries and I found a light cupcake that seemed like the perfect thing for a summer day. My girls helped me whip these up and also taste tested them, just to be sure they were good enough to share! They were enjoyed by all who tasted them- perfect for a birthday or just any day that deserves a sweet treat.
Blueberries and Cream Cupcakes
adapted from Martha Stewart's Cupcakes
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups cake flour (not self-rising), sifted
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1 3/4 cups sugar
4 large eggs, room temperature
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups milk, room temperature
2 cups fresh blueberries, plus more for garnish
For the *whipped cream
2 cups heavy cream
1/4 cup confectioners’ sugar, sifted
1. Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Line standard or mini muffin tins with paper liners.
2. Whisk together both flours, baking powder, and salt. With an electric mixer on medium-high speed, cream butter and sugar until pale and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating until each is incorporated, scraping down sides of bowl as needed. Beat in vanilla.
3. Reduce speed to low. Add flour mixture in three batches, alternating with two additions of milk, and beating until combined after each. Fold in blueberries by hand.
4. Divide batter evenly among lined cups, filling each three-quarters full. Bake, rotating tins halfway through, until pale golden, about 25 minutes for standard and 15 for mini.
5. Transfer tins to wire racks to cool completely before removing cupcakes. Cupcakes can be stored up to 3 days at room temperature in airtight containers.
Make the *whipped cream
1. Whisk heavy cream until soft peaks form. Add confectioners’ sugar, and whisk until combined. If not using immediately, whipped cream can be refrigerated, covered tightly, up to 3 hours in an airtight container.
2. To finish, dollop cupcakes with whipped cream, and garnish with berries. Serve immediately.