Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Cooking Light Virtual Supper Club- Lemonade Layer Cake

It's time for the Cooking Light Virtual Supper Club's Beachcomber Picnic! Val chose this month's theme and I would give anything to actually sit on the beach and eat this delicious menu today. It sure beats thinking about back to school shopping and the start of the school year that is right around the corner for us.

Here is how the menu looks for today-

Val is starting us off with some Oven Fried Chicken,

Roz is adding a delicious salad -Panzannella Salad with Tomato, Bacon, and Basil,

Sandi is bringing along a great side - Orange Flavored Couscous,

Jamie is also added a wonderful side/salad - Spinach-Pasta Salad,

Jerry has got the appetizer covered with his- Grilled Pepper Poppers ,

and that leaves the dessert up to me, so I picked this Lemonade Layer Cake.


I first made this cake quite a few years ago, for a baby shower. I remember it being such a hit with the crowd that my younger sister asked me to please make it for her next birthday. It was put in my memory bank, but I love to cook and bake so much, that I haven't revisited it since then.

The cake and frosting both contain frozen lemonade concentrate (that is thawed before it is added in) and that really adds a great lemonade flavor that is very delicious and definitely noticeable. The cream cheese frosting is a perfect choice to top this cake. I decided to decorate it with fresh flowers since it is August and so many beautiful flowers are in bloom.


It's really great when you can enjoy a slice of cake and you don't have to sacrifice any of the deliciousness just because it is a light recipe. This one is wonderful and the perfect way to end any picnic, whether you get to enjoy the beach or not.



Here is the recipe for Lemonade Layer Cake


4 comments:

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

This does sound like a memorable cake Mary Ann. Wish we were all sitting on the beach today, oh well there is always Sunday!

Michele said...

Wow, the menu looks delicious and your cake looks amazing. I think I have had this recipe in my files for years but have never tried it, which is odd because I love lemon desserts, especially lemonade cakes. I think I may have to find room in my menu somewhere to finally make this before the summer is over!

Roz | La Bella Vita Cucina said...

Oh Mary Ann, you picked some an awesome lemon cake! I've got to try this since C.L.'s cakes have never let me down! Thanks!

Jamie said...

What a beautiful cake! I love anything lemon so I know I would really enjoy this cake. School starts back for us as well in a few weeks. I'll miss the "summer foods".