Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Roasted Butternut Squash Pizza with Arugula and Spinach

Once upon a time there was the most gigantic butternut squash in the whole entire world.
I happened to find this huge squash and I bought it. It was 18 inches tall.
I was able to make this Bundt cake that had a couple cups of shredded butternut squash, these roasted veggies,
both of these stuffings/dressings, a soup (which I haven't posted yet) and I STILL had some squash left.
I roasted the rest of the squash cubes, along with a large chopped onion, in the oven with fresh oregano, fresh thyme, and fresh rosemary.
Then I remembered Maria's post about Pizza that was topped with butternut squash and I decided that sounded really good. I didn't follow her recipe, but I used her idea.

I used a pre-made whole wheat crust, just because I had one that needed to be used. I also had some arugula and spinach that I thought would be great under the squash.
I drizzled my crust with a little bit of olive oil, heaped on tons of arugula and spinach and then topped the greens with my roasted butternut squash/onion mixture.
I sprinkled feta cheese and shredded mozzarella cheese on top and put it in the oven for a few minutes.
Ok, people. This was the most delicious pizza I have ever tasted. Ever. So good.
I can't tell you how great the flavors went with each other.
Unbelievable.

I know there are people out there that believe the simplier the better when it comes to pizza. I agree-sometimes.
This is a topping heavy pizza, but it is so good. And pretty too. And it just seems like it has to be good for you because of all the veggies.
That probably only applies if you don't eat the entire pizza yourself. Good luck with that.

Roasted Butternut Squash Pizza with Arugula and Spinach
pre-made whole wheat or regular pizza crust (Here is my fave quick crust)
3-4 cups butternut squash cubes
1 onion, chopped
fresh thyme
fresh oregano
fresh rosemary
salt and pepper
olive oil
spinach
arugula
feta cheese
shredded mozzarella cheese

Spread your butternut squash cubes and chopped onion on a large baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil. Toss with fresh herbs, salt and pepper.
Roast at 425 degrees for 25 minutes or until squash is tender.

Make your crust and prebake if necessary.
Drizzle crust with a little bit of olive oil.
Spread arugula and spinach over crust.
Top greens with roasted butternut squash/onion mixture.
Sprinkle cheeses over squash mixture.
Bake in oven, until cheese is melted and crust is done.

Maria's Recipe for Roasted Butternut Squash Pizza

11 comments:

Carrie said...

Gosh, this pizza sounds and looks so good! I've never had one like it, but I really love the idea. Perfect for this time of year!

Anonymous said...

Wow. That was a big butternut. Your pizza looks great! I love the color.

Maria said...

I want to make that pizza again. I LOVED it. A new favorite flavor. Yours looks fantastic!

Chocolate Shavings said...

Great way to use butternut squash, and what beautiful colors!

Delicious Dishings said...

That sounds so, so good. I love butternut squash anything. I made some butternut squash pizza last month when a couple of my friends came over for dinner. It was similar to yours as it had olive oil drizzled on the crust, some herbs, squash, and cheese. I did roasted butternut squash, caramelized onions, goat cheese, and sage.

Sarah said...

Wow, that really must have been some squash! Well, it was put to excellent use! Butternut squash pizza is one of my favorites! Yours looks amazing! I love that you were so liberal with the veggies, that is my kind of pizza. Now I have to make some!

Sook said...

Wow the pizza looks so colorful and beautiful! I bet it tastes amazing too!

Pamela said...

I saw Maria's post on that pizza, too. Now that I've seen your post, I need to move that recipe up closer to the top.

Kerstin said...

What a unique pizza! I love all the ingredients, it sounds awesome!

Unknown said...

Butternut squash is so yummy but I've never had it on pizza. It looks awesome! I wish Shane ate veggies so I could make a huge pizza like this and we could share it. I can't get motivated to make it for myself.

Miss Chessman said...

I made the pizza for dinner last night and it was outstanding- great idea!

Oh, and I added some basil I had to the greens for an extra flavor, it turned out really well.