Tuesday, December 15, 2009

MSC-Gingerbread Cupcakes

(TWD is posted beneath this MSC post)

This month's MSC Cupcake was chosen by Kayte who blogs over at Grandma's Kitchen Table. We don't post the recipes for this group, but you can read more about her pick by going to this post.
You can find the recipe by turning to page 246 of Martha Stewart's Cupcakes.

This cupcake definitely has the flavor of gingerbread, all the right spices.
It is supposed to be topped with Fluffy Vanilla Frosting, but I made a lemon glaze instead.
My mom used to make gingerbread this time of year when I was growing up and it always was served with a lemon sauce, so I tried to recreate that flavor combination.

These cupcakes were also topped with optional Gingerbread Cutouts. I was a little cookie-d out when I made these last week, so I skipped those and used Chocolate Covered Candy Coated Sunflower Seeds to top my cupcakes instead.

I found these cute little containers of the candy sunflower seeds that looked like Christmas lights at Cracker Barrel and decided they were a fun little prop. Plus, the candy sunflower seeds are really yummy.
After I had just sprinkled them on, I realized I could have made little shapes or wreaths on my cupcakes or whatever I felt like, with the sunflower seeds.

These cupcakes were the perfect pick for December. The perfect flavor and everything for this time of year!

Go to the MSC Blogroll to see what everyone else thought about these cupcakes and to see some great decorating!

29 comments:

Kayte said...

Oh, I love the look of everything you put in your photo, those little Christmas lights are just right to set it all off. I never knew about candy-coated sunflower seeds...I learn something new over here all the time! Your cupcakes look adorable!

Alexa said...

More lovely holiday treats! I love the idea of gingerbread cupcakes--so festive.

Sugar Loves Co. said...

Hmmm! lemon glaze, i think i like the thought of that. i had to alter this one a bit to my own "needs" (and i'm so needy this month lol).and the sunflower seeds add just the right festive flair. ;)

Bella Baker said...

Your cupcakes look so pretty! And I love all of the props you used to make them nice and festive!!

Hindy said...

Lemon glaze sounds perfect with these. I went all out - cutouts and everything. So much work!

Smitten Sugar said...

Yum! A lemon glaze sounds delicious! Love the holiday covered sunflower seeds! Too cute

Maria said...

I love all of the red and green! So festive!

Nancy/n.o.e said...

I love the way you styled these, Mare, and when I bake these, it will definitely be with lemon icing - the flavors are perfect together - I always enjoy my gingerbread with lemon curd.

Navita (Gupta) Hakim said...

Those are just beautiful and the cake looks oh so moist. WOW!

Delicious Dishings said...

I'm not a big fan of sunflower seeds, but for some reason I love the candy-coated, chocolate-covered ones! And I do love how they usually come in festive containers too. Great topping idea!

I really like the idea of doing a lemon glaze. The vanilla frosting for these was delicious, but I imagine the lemon adds a nice punch of flavor!

Anonymous said...

I love your pretty holiday decorations!

Nina said...

I love the eyepopping candy on top!

Jennifer said...

Love your pictures! I'm glad you enjoyed making these cupcakes as much as I did!

Chef Jeena said...

Lovely Mary Ann I adore the colours and the cake is so soft and spongy YUM!

Anonymous said...

Gingerbread cupcakes sound delicious and I love chocolate covered sunflower seeds. Like the seasonal colors!

betty geek said...

Love your decorations! Super adorable!

And THANK YOU for baking along with us. Cupcake star you are.

Elizabeth D. said...

Awww, I love your decorations, they look wonderful! You didn't mention how you liked the lemon glaze with the cupcake, though. I'd never thought of pairing those two flavors before!

Teresa said...

So adorable! Love everything about them -- the plates, the chocolate decorations, the lemon glaze -- everything! Great job!

Electra Maven said...

Hi, How are you? I came across your Blog and I really enjoyed reading it! I found it very interesting! I'm a new blogger so I'd like to invite you to have a look at my blog and feel welcome to give me any kind of feedback and comments on my posts! :) I would really appreciate it! Thanks for sharing information and yr experiences! I wish you all the best! Kind Regards ;)

http://www.electra-spotlight.blogspot.com/

ps: great pics and u have a great smile ;)

Sook said...

What a perfect treat for Christmas! I've never tried gingerbread cupcakes before but they look fantastic!

Future Grown-Up said...

The little christmas light candies are the perfect touch this time of year. I'm tempted to try making these again using your technique.

I skipped the frosting myself and went with a raspberry topping but lemon sounds yummy too.

Unknown said...

I love what you did with these :) They scream holiday to me with the super fun decorations. I've never had chocolate covered sunflower seeds but it sounds like they'd be a good salty/sweet combination. Great job!

Annette said...

I love those Cracker Barrel chocolate sunflower seeds. I never thought to use them in decorating. You are right they do look like little Christmas lights. That wreath is too cute!

Lori said...

Your cupcakes look great! The lemon glaze sounds really yummy. I bet the crunch of the sunflower seeds was a nice bit of texture too!

Jeannette said...

oh such beautiful cupcakes. now i'm curious to try the lemon-ginger combo! i bet it worked out great!

k.a.r.e.n said...

Glad you liked these cupcakes... they look fantastic.

Professor Gal said...

The wreath on top is adorable!! You stage your cupcake photos so beautifully, too!

Di said...

I love all your pictures--very festive. =)

The Food Librarian said...

All very festive! Love the sunflower seeds. And I like the idea of using lemon with gingerbread. - mary