Friday, December 18, 2009

Pumpkin Spice Scones

Every time I open a can of pumpkin, I know exactly what I am going to do with it. Well, at least part of it. The fun thing is figuring out what to do with the sometimes 1/3 cup or so, of pumpkin puree that I have leftover.

I don't even remember how I happened upon this recipe for Pumpkin Spice Scones,
from Pinch my Salt. But I read that the recipe had been triple tested until it was just right and I loved the spices that were included in these scones. Also the two different icings, cinnamon and ginger-molasses had me intrigued.
These scones were absolutely amazing. I don't know if it was the fact that these had cake flour in them, but they were so soft and delicious. I can't even explain the texture, it was unbelievable. Cathy and I were tweeting about these and we completely agreed, so its not just me that raved about these.
The spices were absolutely perfect too.
I left out the raisins, just because I felt like it. I love raisins, but I really didn't want them in these for some reason.
I can't wait to make these again over the Christmas break. Perfect for breakfast, brunch or a snack.
I will use any excuse to make these again.


I made a little bit of a change on the icing-- I poured a little bit of molasses in a bowl- added some ground ginger and about 1 cup of powdered sugar. added skim milk until I could get it to come together. More ginger and molasses, until it had that spicy bite.


Recipe for Pumpkin Spice Scones

11 comments:

amanda @ fake ginger said...

Those look awesome! I'm not a huge scone fan because they're usually so crumbly but I'll have to try using cake flour for softer ones.

Meghan said...

I love scones and these look fantastic! Pumpkin spices and those icings - yum!

Delicious Dishings said...

Yum! You've just reminded me that I have pumpkin scones in the freezer. I made a bunch a while back and froze some unbaked ones. I love the drizzle on yours. I brushed mine with a glaze of confectioner's sugar, milk or water (can't remember which), and pumpkin spices.

The Blonde Duck said...

The only thing better than scones is pumpkin scones!

Sook said...

Oh pumpkin puree is one of my favorite ingredients to use for desserts! But these scones look fantastic. Oh and the frosting.. makes me drool. :)

Alexa said...

I have a weakness for scones, any flavor, any kind--it's a texture thing. I love the orange cranberry ones but pumpkin spice are right up there as well. Have a great weekend!

Unknown said...

I've made this recipe before too and they are fabulous!! I need to defrost some pumpkin from my freezer so I can make these this week.

Anonymous said...

These look heavenly! I love scones, going to try these.

symphonious sweets said...

I have been searching for the ultimate pumpkin recipe. this looks really tastey.

Deana Sidney said...

2 different icings, what a great idea! Depending on how you bite you get more of one than the other! Cool idea!

Anonymous said...

Perfect looking scones. Sound delicious too.