Thursday, December 17, 2009

Holiday Chopped Salad

I have been looking at the older holiday magazines that I have kept and this salad jumped out at me.
I think it must have been the combination of colors and the variety of vegetables that caught my eye.
It just seemed so festive for a holiday salad and I love it when a salad doesn't necessarily contain lettuce or greens of any kind. (that might sound wierd- I love salad with greens and lettuce, but it is nice when other veggies are the star of the show)

I decided to make this when my sister was visiting over the Thanksgiving break and I cut the recipe in 1/2.
It was really yummy.
I think it would be delicious served on top of romaine or mixed greens, but it is very delicious on its own.
It can also be made ahead, which is great if you are having a really hectic holiday season.
It is just nice to see some pretty veggies that make you want to taste them. Everyone needs a little distraction from the sweets right about now. Or maybe it is just me!

Holiday Chopped Salad
from Our Best Holiday Menus 2007-BHG
1 15 or 19-oz can canneliini beans, rinsed and drained
2 small green peppers, seeded and cut into bite-size chunks (1 1/2 cups)
1 medium cucumber, cut into bite-size chunks (3 cups)
1/2 head radicchio or 1/4 head purple cabbage, coarsely chopped (2 cups)
1/2 of a 16-oz pkg radishes, halved or quartered (1 1/2 cups)
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 Tbls honey
1/2 tsp coarse salt
1/4 tsp pepper
8 oz feta cheese, cubed or crumbled
coarsely chopped fresh Italian parsley and/or mint

1. In separate resealable plastic bags, place beans, green pepper chunks, cucumber chunks, radicchio, and radishes. For dressing, in a screw-top jar, combine oil and lemon juice. Cover and shake well. Add honey, salt, and black pepper, covering and shaking well, after each addition. Pour 1 to 2 Tablespoons dressing into each bag. Seal bags. Chill for 2 to 4 hours, turning bags occasionally.
2. To serve- arrange vegetables with dressing and feta cheese in rows on serving platter. Sprinkle with parsley and/or mint.
Makes 8 to 10 servings

8 comments:

Jessica said...

I love a chopped salad of almost any kind. I agree with you, sometimes it's very nice to have a little mix up from the usual lettuce mix. This salad looks so festive, and it also seems like there's a nice balance of textures. I definitely want to try this soon!

Meghan said...

This is such a beautiful salad - all those colors! I like having veggie-only salads sometimes too.

Maria said...

Gorgeous salad! Love all of the options!

Jo said...

What a gorgous looking salad! Everything is so colorful and crisp looking.

Barbara said...

This is just what I need! Something healthy to accompany my cookies!

Alexa said...

A chopped salad is my favorite lunch! I will be trying this recipe this coming week. Thanks, Mary Ann!

The Food Librarian said...

Mary Ann, I want this allll the time! Looks beautiful and delicious!

Lisa Engel said...

That is such a cute idea for a Christmas meal Salad!