Sunday, December 20, 2009

Peppermint Patties with Peppermint Ice Cream

So, in a couple of hours we leave for Disneyworld.
We are driving through the night and we will go to the Magic Kingdom in the morning.
This is the first time I have ever been there, as well as the first time my kids have ever been there. We are going with our good friends who have children the exact same ages as our kids.
It is going to be fun!
We will be spending Christmas down there.
I can't wait!
I wanted to leave you with a yummy treat.
I saw these festive Peppermint Patties on Aggie's blog a week or so ago.
Aggie is one of 5 bloggers who participates in the Cooking Light Virtual Supper Club, and this month their theme was a Cookie Exchange.
I know that I have seen these cookies in a Cooking Light cookbook a couple of times, but when I saw them on Aggie's blog, I realized that I had to make them.
Her pictures were absolutely scrumptious and around the holidays, you can always use a lighter treat.
I have also been wanting to make Peppermint Ice Cream, but kept on telling myself it was not necessary. I happened to find a recipe for Peppermint Ice Cream from Cooking Light and decided to combine the two recipes.
Originally these ice cream sandwiches are supposed to be filled with vanilla ice cream and then rolled in crushed peppermint candy, but I decided to make and use the Peppermint Ice Cream.
I also decided that I would try and take pictures before the sandwiches set up in the freezer. Bad idea! Talk about a melty mess.
So, then I let the ice cream set in the freezer for a couple hours and followed the instructions, which said to wrap the sandwiches once you fill them with ice cream and roll them in candy, in plastic wrap and let them set up in the freezer for 4 hours before serving. Genius!
Who would have thought that actually following the instructions would make a difference? Just kidding on that one.

The ice cream was a little bit overly sweet for me on its own, but with the cookies it tasted just right.
I added 1/2 tsp peppermint extract to the ice cream, to up the peppermint flavor.
My kids also sneaked a couple of cookies plain and thought they were delicious.
This is a fun, festive holiday treat, that can be made in advance and the results are yummy! Just make sure to give yourself enough time to let the sandwiches set up properly.

Have a great week!



Aggie's post about Peppermint Patties

Recipe for Peppermint Patties

Recipe for Peppermint Ice Cream

7 comments:

Kerstin said...

Oh wow, these look fabulous - I love peppermint ice cream! I hope your family has a great at Disney World! I'm jealous - we went there for our honeymoon and I'm itching to go back :)

Katerina said...

Amazing! I love the COLOR of that ice cream.

Have a great Christmas, obviously you will since it is the happiest place on earth ;)

Bella Baker said...

Have the best time in Disney World!!! Your kids are going to be in heaven! That ice cream looks amazing!

Anonymous said...

Have fun at Disneyworld! I love the ice cream sandwiches!

Chef Jeena said...

Merry Xmas I love your patties yum yum. :-)

Aggie said...

Hope you are having a wonderful time in FL!!! Love the peppermint ice cream, so pretty!!

Best ice shaver said...

professional icecream maker
ice cream maker machine
italian ice cream maker
best commercial ice cream maker
portable ice cream maker
best rated ice cream makers