Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Cranberry Orange Scones


A couple of weeks ago, Bridget of The Way the Cookie Crumbles, posted a bunch of scone recipes, one after the other.
I had been looking for another way to use my fresh cranberries and had seen lots of scones with dried cranberries, but fresh are so much better!
I made some scones with fresh cranberries last year, which were really good, but I always like trying new recipes and I loved that this recipe had 1 1/2 cups of fresh cranberries.
Bridget noted that the original recipe calls for lemon zest to be used in these scones, but she used orange instead and I wanted to use orange too, because cranberry and orange is a classic combination in my mind.
I was curious if I could make these work using low-fat buttermilk instead of heavy cream, just to make them a little bit on the healthier side.
I did it and they worked.
I reduced the amount by about 2 Tbls and the dough was still very soft, but it worked.

I also made a quick glaze with powdered sugar, fresh orange juice and orange zest.
These were delicious!
My girls and my nephew each gobbled one down, which kind of surprised me since the cranberries are very tart.
I froze a couple, which were already baked and shared them with my sister when she came to visit.
These would also make a great holiday breakfast or brunch item. Very seasonal and festive.

And besides, cranberries have more antioxidants than almost any other fruit. That has to make you feel good about eating one of these scones.


Recipe for Cranberry Orange Scones

8 comments:

Katie said...

Looks delicious and very festive with the cranberries

Bridget said...

I'm so glad to hear that they were good with buttermilk instead of cream! My sister made them with soy milk and said they were good, so next time I make them, I'm definitely using something leaner than cream.

Delicious Dishings said...

Ooh I might make these! I have fresh cranberries in the fridge right now!

Alexa said...

Back when I ate gluten, I use to love to indulge in an orange cranberry scone for a special treat. Yours look so perfect. The pictures are beautiful as well.

Unknown said...

I saw these on Bridget's blog too and really wanted to try them! I have a ton of fresh cranberries to use so these would be perfect.

Kerstin said...

Oh these look fabulous! I'm with you on cranberry and orange together - yum!

Jessica said...

I agree with you about the fresh cranberries -- they really are so much better! These scones look so delicious. I always have a hard time making scones for just me, but maybe I can make them for my family over the holidays and that way I can try one! Have fun at Disney -- I'm so jealous!

Di said...

I've been wanting to try some cranberry scones. These look yummy. I like the idea of using buttermilk as well. I also frequently sneak in some www flour for part of the AP in scones. My girls never seem to notice. =)