Tuesday, July 29, 2008

TWD-Summer Fruit Galette


First of all, I am so excited because the oven is fixed! I only had to go without it, for 5 days and now it is in working order. Yippie! This week's recipe comes to us from Michelle who runs the appropriately named blog, Michelle in Colorado Springs. This was a great recipe for this time of year in my hemisphere, because there were apricots all over the kitchen from the tree in the backyard. No joke. They were everywhere, so logically I went with apricots. There was also a huge amount of apricot jam that had been freshly made, so that went on the crust. I accidentally forgot the breadcrumbs, but it didn't seem to affect the end result, which was delicious! I thought for a moment about not doing the custard, but decided when I saw that there would be enough room between the fruit, to go ahead and throw it on there. I am glad I did. I really think the custard made this galette special. It reminded me of some of the pastries I enjoyed in Eastern Europe. It got a little brown on top, but that is because I wasn't sure if the custard was cooked all the way, so I let it go a couple more minutes just to make sure. Now, go on over the TWD blogroll and check out all the other great fruit combinations that everyone came up with!


22 comments:

Aggie said...

You are a galette making machine! Both look really really good!! I'm so intimidated by the thought of making one! I'll have to work up the courage to try...hard to resist after seeing yours.

Flourchild said...

Yipeeee your oven is fixed..Im sure your loving that. Oh my gosh your galette is so pretty. I love it!

Anonymous said...

You must be thrilled to have an oven again. Your galette is gorgeous!

Annemarie said...

Apricots all over??? I'm jealous! Beautiful job on your dough!

Engineer Baker said...

Yay for working ovens, but *jealous* for fresh apricots everywhere. Beautiful.

Andrea at Nummy Kitchen said...

Two galettes in a row, wow! I'm glad the custard worked for you :) I bet your galette tasted heavenly with the homemade preserves from your own apricot tree, that just sounds so amazingly yummy! You have me wanting to plant some fruit trees is our boring back yard!

slush said...

I love the powdered sugar effect. It really adds something to the overall look. Fantastic job!

Prudy said...

Hooray! Oven is now back in biz. I thought about your CL galette all day. I'm on a road trip to CA and I grabbed my July CL to read in the car. Now I have to have that galette! Both yours look wonderful
What were you doing in Eastern Europe? Travel?

Susie Homemaker said...

Yay for having an oven!! Great looking galette, girl!

Christine said...

Yeah the oven got fixed just in time to make an awesome summer galette! Your galette is beautiful.

Pamela said...

So, I wondering which galette you are enjoying more. They both look good. Nice pictures of the Apricot one!

Jacque said...

Mmmm, it looks delish! What better way to celebrate the return of your oven. Congrats!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful use of abundant apricots! I only wish I had the same problem. :) Great work!

Eleganza Strings/ The DeLadurantey Family said...

Love the powdered sugar!

CB said...

I am so glad we both tried the custard! I thought it was amazing in the galette. Yours looks so good with those apricots. Great job!
Clara @ iheartfood4thought

Jules Someone said...

Mmmmm. Two in one week? Yowsa!

Kelley said...

I'm doing a peach version of this tonight. I can't wait to try it. Thanks for the recipe and the inspiration.

Di said...

I particularly like the top photo. I left out the custard, but I may have to give it a try the next time I make a galette.

Nancy/n.o.e said...

Your galette is soooo pretty! And I'm very intrigued by your taste test with the other galette. Which did you prefer?

Ellen and Tom said...

I used apricots too - such a special flavor! I'm jealous that you have them growing on trees. Love that first shot with people in the background.

Ellen and Tom said...

I used apricots, too! Such a special flavor. I'm so jealous you have them growing on trees! I love the first shot with person in the background.

Bungalow Barbara said...

Oven working, apricots growing in your back yard, delicious galette -- wow, enjoy it all!