Thursday, July 10, 2008

BB-Jalapeno Cheddar Cornbread

Once again it is time for Barefoot Bloggers. This recipe was chosen by Sabrina and Alexander of Cooking with The Kids. I used skim milk and also, omitted 1 stick of butter because Anne said she had made it before that way and it didn't affect the taste or texture. Hey, if I can cut the butter in a recipe and still have it taste great, I will do it. I am glad I did. The texture was great. It was light and airy. It kinda reminded me a muffin or cake, not really cornbread. I guess the cornbread I am used to is really grainy. I still had the desire to eat it with honey (that is how we do it at our house), but refrained. It was a great choice and we ate it along side some great veggie soup (see below). Go check out the BB blogroll and see what everyone else thought about this choice!
Jalapeno Cheddar Cornbread 2006, Barefoot Contessa at Home, All Rights Reserved

3 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup yellow cornmeal
1/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons baking powder
2 teaspoons kosher salt
2 cups milk
3 extra-large eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 pound (2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted, plus extra to grease the pan
8 ounces aged extra-sharp Cheddar, grated, divided
1/3 cup chopped scallions, white and green parts, plus extra for garnish, 3 scallions
3 tablespoons seeded and minced fresh jalapeno peppers

Combine the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, combine the milk, eggs, and butter. With a wooden spoon, stir the wet ingredients into the dry until most of the lumps are dissolved. Don't overmix! Mix in 2 cups of the grated Cheddar, the scallions and jalapenos, and allow the mixture to sit at room temperature for 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9 by 13 by 2-inch baking pan.
Pour the batter into the prepared pan, smooth the top, and sprinkle with the remaining grated Cheddar and extra chopped scallions. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool and cut into large squares. Serve warm or at room temperature

8 comments:

Sarah said...

Looks great! I gave in and ate mine with honey and it was super tasty! :)

Prudy said...

Yep, I nixed almost half the butter too. Yours looks so good, didn't need it all. I love the look of the top of your cornbread-so yummy!

Anne said...

Nice job Mary Ann! I'm glad the reduced butter worked out, it looks delicious! :)

Melissa said...

Glad to know the reduced butter worked well!

Unknown said...

Looks fantastic...I love scallions so I can't wait to try this one, with less butter, of course.

Anonymous said...

I cut half the butter as well. Your picture is great.

Summertime said...

Everyone here wanted it covered with honey butter. Definitely will need to halve the butter if they're going to do that! Yours looks delish!

Rebecca of "Ezra Pound Cake" said...

How did you get such great pics of the World's Most Unphotogenic Food? Way to go!

Rebecca
http://www.ezrapoundcake.com