Sunday, July 20, 2008

Roast Chicken Chimichangas

I have made these many times. They are so easy and so good, that it is impossible not to make them again and again. If you have any leftover cooked chicken, just shred it and mix these up. I have made it with shredded cheese when I couldn't find queso fresco or taco sauce instead of salsa verde. The kids gobbled them down (so did my hubby-that is always a good sign)!

Roast Chicken Chimichangas from Cooking Light
2 1/2 cups shredded roasted chicken

1 cup (4 ounces) crumbled queso fresco cheese
1/4 cup chopped green onions
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1 garlic clove, minced
1 (4.5-ounce) can chopped green chiles, drained
1 (16-ounce) can fat-free refried beans
6 (8-inch) flour tortillas
Cooking spray
1/2 cup bottled green salsa

Preheat oven to 500°.
Combine first 7 ingredients in a large bowl; toss well.
Spread 1/4 cup beans down center of each tortilla. Top each tortilla with 2/3 cup chicken mixture; roll up. Place rolls, seam sides down, on a large baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Coat tops of chimichangas with cooking spray. Bake at 500° for 7 minutes. Serve with salsa.

5 comments:

Trishelle said...

Those look AMAZING! I'm eager to try the recipe....I'll keep you posted.

Aggie said...

These are just what I need...I have some leftover chicken to deal with later this week!! Looks delish!

Prudy said...

Catching up now-I love hummus. I've never made it with yogurt and I'm definitely going to give it a go. Also, I used to make peanut butter play dough like crazy and the kids love it. Now-I really would love a nice healthy chimi dinner. Nothing makes me go crazy like Mexican food. Look so yummy!

Eleganza Strings/ The DeLadurantey Family said...

Yummy!

Hannah

Emily Sherinian said...

I just made these for dinner last night! I total success. I added a bit of shredded cheddar and some sour cream to the mixture (which I'm sure takes the light right out of cooking light) and they were delicious! Instead of queso fresco I used some crumbled feta. My kids AND husband raved. This is a keeper!