Tuesday, July 22, 2008

TWD- Cherry Rhubarb Cobbler with Mango-Banana Frozen Yogurt

This week's pick was chosen by Amanda of Like Sprinkles on a Cupcake. Check her blog for the recipe. I like rhubarb and have eaten it since I was little, so I had no problem there. Cherries, well I like them too. Cobbler isn't my favorite dessert, but I was willing to give it a try. We have rhubarb growing in the garden and tons of frozen Bing cherries from my grandpas cherry trees, so I was ready to go. Then the oven died. It has been throwing fits alot lately, not wanting to light the pilot light, and usually I can fix it, by timing it just right and lightly a long match, sticking it under the bottom of the oven and somehow lighting it. But, this time, it wouldn't work. I was making cookies at the time, and we had to take the oven apart. To make a long story short, we didn't fix it. I waited until the last minute on this one and then, I happened to open the latest issue of Everyday with Rachel Ray (I knew all those magazine subscriptions would pay off someday) and saw a feature on how to make cobbler on the grill. SO-problem solved. I got out a cast iron skillet, followed the recipe to a tee, and then tried to get the gazillion year old grill hot enough to bake something. I covered that thing with foil and, after 1 1/2 hours, ta-da! It worked! There was a bit of a smoky grill flavor, so I will have to try this again, when the oven is fixed, but at least I know it is possible. I also threw together some great Frozen Yogurt (check it out below). Go check out everyone else's take on this cobbler by checking out the TWD blogroll.



22 comments:

Prudy said...

Great idea to do it on the grill. I had planned to do mine in the Dutch Oven, but I didn't even start mine till last night after we came in the door from vacation. I'm definitely making this one again. Yours looks grand!

Andrea at Nummy Kitchen said...

Sorry your oven died! How neat that it worked out on the grill, it looks delicious :)

Anonymous said...

Your cobbler looks great! I love your ingenuity :)

Teanna DiMicco said...

On the grill!? Talk about resourcefulness! Amazing! And Mango Banana frozen yogurt? You have stolen my heart!

Anne said...

Wow, I'm so impressed you got it done on the grill and without an oven! It looks perfect too and now I'm dying for some of that frozen yogurt...

Susie Homemaker said...

oh wow - grilled cobbler!! inventive! poor oven...i hope you are all fixed now!

Flourchild said...

Sorry about your oven.Im glad your cobbler turned out and you were able to cook it on the grill. WHat a great idea. Knowing me I would have gone out an got another oven! Your cobbler looks wonderful!

kimberly salem said...

sorry about the oven :( but grilled cobbler sounds awesome! looks like it came out great!

Pamela said...

Cool! Great job using the grill. I think I would have backed out entirely. Looks good.

Dolores said...

Grilled cobbler. THAT is the mark of a woman on a mission. Great job!

Hope your oven heals soon.

Di said...

Great save! I hope your oven is better soon.

Engineer Baker said...

Wow, that's awesome! Grilled cobbler - what a way to save the day!

Eleganza Strings/ The DeLadurantey Family said...

Wow! Great combo...........we did a rhubarb crumble ice cream with ours.............boy was it tasty!

Hannah

Nickki said...

Looks great! You'd never think it had been cooked on the grill :)

Rigby said...

Sorry to hear about your oven, but it's cool that you were able to make it on the grill :)

CB said...

On the grill?!! Way to be innovative! Great job!
Clara @ iheartfood4thought

MacDuff said...

Oh my gosh, this is so great! And the mango flavors really seem like they'd go well. Great blog!

Aaliyah said...

The yoghurt sounds really tasty and I am so happy you were able to still come out with your cobbler! What an amazing find in the magazine...I always tell my husband when he asks why I need so many magazines, 'you never know, I might need something in there one day' lol...now I have your story as PROOF!

Most would have just not baked it and maybe gave up...like me lol. You hung in there and ended up with a yummy looking cobbler.

I look forward to your post next week and hope the oven gets a clean bill of health too!

Aaliyah said...

Hi there..thank you for stopping by my blog :). The template is courtesy of suckmylolly...yeah funny name but there are some cute templates there. You can visit them at www.suckymylolly.com Sorry to post a link here but I didn't find an email link for you so hope that is ok. :o)

steph- whisk/spoon said...

wow--that's dedication, and good thinking! glad it worked out, and looks great with the homemade fro-yo.

Shari said...

Wow, you're dedicated to do this on the grill! Too bad about your oven. Love the idea of mango-banana frozen yogurt with it!
Shari@Whisk: a food blog

Jaime said...

wow i'm so impressed you made this on the grill?!