Tuesday, July 15, 2008

TWD- Chocolate Pudding

This weeks Tuesday's with Dorie pick was chosen by Melissa of It's Melissa's Kitchen. You can find the recipe on her blog or check out this LINK to Dorie's blog where she posted it as well. I thought it was a great pick. I like pudding, but haven't ever really wanted to make it from scratch. I knew it would probably be a little like making a custard or pastry cream and I was surprised at how easy it was. I read ahead of time that Mara made it with half whole milk and half 2% milk and it still came out really creamy, so I used half whole milk and half 1% milk. Dorie suggests in the book that something crunchy makes a nice topper for this, so, some of us went for Candy Coated Chocolate Covered Sunflower Seeds (notice above). I had some that I use occasionally for cake decorating, and they really gave a nice little extra something. Some of us opted for Cool Whip,
And some people just had to have it all.





Then there were the people who wanted it naked.
This was a big hit for everyone. I had to beat my kids off with a stick to try and get some pictures. There were hands everywhere. It was thick and creamy, chocolately and rich. Just a few bites were enough to leave you satisfied. I love it when you can have just a little bit of a sweet treat and it is so good, that you savor a few bites and that is all you need. Dorie is amazing. I love this cookbook. If you don't have it, do yourself a favor and buy it- I seriously use it for everything!









32 comments:

Rebecca of "Ezra Pound Cake" said...

The candy coated sunflower seeds are so pretty! What a fun idea.

Rebecca
http://www.ezrapoundcake.com

Sarah said...

i love the chocolate covered sunflower seeds! that would be a tasty addition, i am sure. great job!

Teanna DiMicco said...

Oh wow those candy coated sunflower seeds look like they are a fantastic addition! Delicious!

Melissa said...

fantastic idea with the sunflower seeds. That sounds like such an interesting combination of flavors. I will definitely give that a go in the future!

Great pictures.

CB said...

Chocolate sunflower seeds! How fun! Pudding looks yummy... even just naked. Great job!
Clara @ iheartfood4thought

Engineer Baker said...

Aahhh! Nakey pudding! But the sunflower seeds - now those intrigue me...

Unknown said...

Love the candy-coated sunflower seeds - they make the pudding even more fun.

Melissa said...

Love the idea for a topping!

Pamela said...

Great pictures! I love the one of your little one smiling like that and the one with all the hands on the pudding. Great job.

Anonymous said...

The sunflower seeds provide such a nice visual contrast. And I love the picture of your daughter trying to take off with the pudding. My kids loved it as well.

kimberly salem said...

cute sunflower seeds! :) glad you liked the pudding, it looks tasty!

Susie Homemaker said...

those seeds are the coolest thing!! Love it!

PheMom said...

Really fun add in! Your pudding looks great!

Prudy said...

So cute! My kids and me would just love it. I love colorful candy on chocolate-the dark brown makes the best background.

Christine said...

So colorful with the candy coated sunflower seeds, great job!

Anonymous said...

I so dig the sunflower seeds on top. Those things are to die for. I bet it was tasty!

Amanda said...

Yum. I love chocolate covered sunflower seeds, too!! Looks great.

Steph said...

Your pudding looks great and thick!

Jacque said...

That so cute, with all of the kids clamoring for pudding. Definitely looks like a hit.

Great job, those candy coated sunflower seeds are so cute. I've never seen those before.

steph- whisk/spoon said...

so cute and colorful--looks yummy!

Anne said...

I love the bright topping, it looks so festive and tasty! Awesome job Mary Ann!

Summertime said...

How fun to add the seeds! Your pudding awesome!

Nickki said...

Yum, your pudding looks very good! I've never seen candy coated sunflower seeds before but they look gorgeous! :)

Engineer Baker said...

PS - I gave you an award, stop on by to pick it up!

Aggie said...

Yummy yummy yummy!!!

I have an award waiting for you in my blog! : )

marae said...

i love those choco covered sunflower seeds, i keep some at my desk all the time! cool whip and seeds, yum! looks fab.

Bungalow Barbara said...

Those candied sunflower seeds are darling! And the kids all clamoring for the pudding, even more darling!

Jules Someone said...

That looks really delicious. I may have to try it again with lower fat milk.

Aaliyah said...

Your pudding looks very good and it looks like the kids are trying to get the last bit, so to speak, with all the hands on the glass cup of goodies! How big was the stick ? lol. I agree on the few bites thing because it was so rich and creamy and good. I look forward to seeing your post next week!

Dolores said...

It's always more fun when it's a hit for *everyone*. Great job!

Anonymous said...

It looks delicious and the chocolate coated sunflowers make the pudding even more attractive!
Love the kids figthing for pudding pictures :)

Jaime said...

great use of the sunflower seeds!! so pretty :) don't know if you are near one, but you can find the sunflower seed candies at trader joe's too