Thursday, July 31, 2008

BB Bonus-Coeur a la Creme with Strawberry-Orange Sauce

Here we are with the Barefoot Bloggers Bonus recipe. It was a reward to whoever was able to get the most traffic to the BB blog, by mentioning it on their blog. Becke who runs Columbus Foodie was the winner, ahd she chose this delicious delight. I went back and forth as to whether I was going to make this one. The main reason being I have made so many sweet this week, that I didn't know if we could handle anymore (I swear, we have been eating really healthy dinners which I will post soon). I ordered a large heart mold and two tiny ones (see below), and decided that I would make half of the recipe. It made a ton! It filled the two small heart molds and then I put the rest in a sieve. I used 1/3 less fat cream cheese and I didn't have enough whipping cream, only a cup, so I used half and half, for the rest. I didn't buy a vanilla bean, just added a little extra vanilla extract. Also, raspberries were outrageous, so I subbed strawberries, but still used raspberry jam. I omitted the Grand Marnier and used some fresh orange juice and a little orange zest. It worked perfectly and the flavors were wonderful! This is one tasty dessert!
Coeur a la Creme with Strawberry-Orange Sauce
6 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature

1/2 cup +1/8 cup confectioners' sugar
1 cup cold heavy cream
1/4 cup half and half
1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
fresh strawberries
Place the cream cheese and confectioners' sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment and beat on high speed for 2 minutes. Scrape down the beater and bowl with a rubber spatula and change the beater for the whisk attachment. With the mixer on low speed, add the heavy cream, half and half, vanilla, lemon zest, and beat on high speed until the mixture is very thick, like whipped cream.
Line a 7-inch sieve with cheesecloth or paper towels so the ends drape over the sides and suspend it over a bowl, making sure that there is space between the bottom of the sieve and the bottom of the bowl for the liquid to drain. Pour the cream mixture into the cheesecloth, fold the ends over the top, and refrigerate overnight.
To serve, discard the liquid, unmold the cream onto a plate, and drizzle Strawberry-Orange Sauce over top and add fresh strawberries.
Strawberry Orange sauce by Mary Ann
1/2 cup chopped strawberries
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup seedless raspberry jam
2 Tbls fresh orange juice
orange zest
Place strawberries, sugar, jam, orange juice,and 1/4 cup water in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, lower the heat, and simmer for 4 minutes. Pour this mixture into the bowl of a food processor fitted with the steel blade and process until smooth. Transfer to another container and add orange zest. Stir and chill until ready to use.

8 comments:

Prudy said...

OK-I was impressed by you already this morning and then I come back to this??? Wow! That looks delicious!
My sister also served a mission in Latvia! I served a mission in Santiago, Chile. I wondered if that was the reference! You are one amazing girl.

Anonymous said...

Your dish looks delish! I'm glad you like it. I should have halved it as well. It does make a ton.
~The Cat's Pajamas

Kelley said...

Gracious! I am seriously impressed. It is so fun to log on here and see all the delicious foods you've been making lately. I'm definitely going to be trying some of these. Wow!

Anonymous said...

i'm glad to know that orange juice/zest worked in this. grand marnier was a little expensive even for just a small bottle. looks great!

Lore said...

Oh my this looks delicious and what a cool mold!

Marie Rayner said...

Ohh, I am catching up on all your delicious looking entries this morning!!! My goodness but you have been one very busy lady! I think your cake is the nicest one I've seen thus far and that galette! Wowser!!! It all looks so good I just gained ten pounds from looking! Oh, and I am impressed....Latvia! I envy you that you were able to do that!

Deb in Hawaii said...

Great job--I like the strawberries with it. I halved it too and it was still a lot--but good!

Anne said...

Wow, they look amazing! I love that you got both sizes of molds and can't wait to see what you put up next. Keep it up, girl!