Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Cooking Light Virtual Supper Club Celebrates Corn

I have joined the Cooking Light Virtual Supper Club and couldn't be more excited about it.
Every month the five members of this club-
Jamie - Mom's Cooking Club,
Val- More than Burnt Toast,
Sandi-Whistlestop Cafe Cooking,
Helene- La cuisine d'Helene, and
Mary Ann- Meet Me in the Kitchen- pick a theme and build a menu around that theme, using Cooking Light recipes. I love Cooking Light and use their recipes all the time, so I knew this would be a lot of fun for me.

Sandi picked this month's theme - A Celebration of Corn.
Here is the full menu-
Sandi chose Curried Corn-Crab Cakes as the main dish,
Jamie picked Double Corn Bread to go on the side,
Val chose Creamed Corn with Bacon and Leeks as a vegetable side,
I decided on Greens with Roasted Corn and Pepper Salad as a salad, and
Helene rounded out the meal with Lemon-Cornmeal Cookies for dessert.
Please go check out each of their blogs to see the delicious item they prepared for this month's feast!

I wanted to make a salad that featured corn and I was lucky enough to be able to use some fresh local corn-in place of the frozen corn the recipe called for, thanks to the long growing season here in Georgia.

This salad was really easy, with just a few steps and very good. First, you roast the corn until it is slightly browned and then, you mix the corn with roasted red peppers, and a few other ingredients. You let that mixture chill for an hour or so, and then use it as the topper for a pile of beautiful mixed greens. The finishing touch is toasted pine nuts, scattered on top.
This was a great dish and we enjoyed it. I used nonfat greek yogurt instead of the sour cream, but I do that all the time in recipes, so I don't think it change the taste of this salad.

Thanks for checking out this month's CL Virtual Supper Club- I hope you enjoyed it!


Recipe for Greens with Roasted Corn and Pepper Salad
* I used greek yogurt instead of sour cream
* I used fresh corn instead of frozen

8 comments:

Jamie said...

Mary Ann,
I'm so happy to have you join the group. Your salad looks so good and so healthy. Can't wait to see what else you cook up.

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

Your salad looks fantasrtic. Welcome to the Virtual Supper Club Mary Ann. I look forward to all your delicious dishes!!!!

Chicken Recipes said...

We are present you for the latest Recipes of Andhra share it.

La Cuisine d'Helene said...

Delicious salad. Nice to see you joining the group.

Unknown said...

Hello, cool group! Love this salad too

Aggie said...

This looks so good! I love corn, great way to dress it up for a salad.

Shelby said...

MaryAnn, I am glad you joined the VSC!! I knew you would be a perfect fit. ;)

Your salad looks delish!

tollywoodpolitics said...

wow great

tollywoodpolitics
bollywoodindiaboxoffice
telugu