Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Butternut-Squash Pasta Sauce

I usually prepare butternut squash the same exact way, every time. I peel it, cube it, toss it with olive oil, salt & pepper, and roast it in the oven until tender. Then I mix it with other stuff to make a salad, side or whatever. And I love it that way, but I wanted to try something different.
I somehow found this recipe and thought it looked really delicious, plus it gave me a new way to enjoy butternut squash. I have had butternut squash as a pasta filling, but never as the actual sauce.
We don't eat pasta very often, so for this occasion I bought 2 kinds of refrigerated tortellini- whole wheat 3 cheese and one with a chicken filling (since one of my kids hate cheese).
I was really excited about the sauce. It smelled delicious. It was nice and smooth. It had a delicious flavor.

I used some chicken stock in place of the water called for to smooth and thin out the sauce.
The toppings- fresh sage, walnuts and parmesan cheese- were absolutely perfect.

Now, there were a few family members who were not at all excited about this pasta sauce. They didn't care for it at all. But, being the mean mom and wife that I am- I made them eat it anyway. I loved it.



Recipe for Butternut-Squash Pasta Sauce from Martha Stewart
* I added chicken stock instead of some of the water to the sauce

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh I know this would be fab, it looks wonderful and sage is perfect for it.

Marcella Alyssa said...

Yum! I have been looking for ways to make butternut squash. I will be trying this one soon...

Hazel - Chicken in a Cherry Sauce said...

My roommate poured butternut squash soup over her pasta the other day in attempt to enjoy her pasta with some sauce... Not quite the same as yours I'm sure! Beautiful photo and my usual preparation of butternut squash is the same as yours :)

Ocean Breezes and Country Sneezes said...

This looks delicious! I've been on a pumpkin & squash cooking frenzy this Autumn! LOL!

Eliana said...

What a great way to prepare butternut squash. And so easy too. Will be giving this a try this weekend for sure.

Maria said...

This is my kind of meal!