Thursday, August 5, 2010

Breakfast Recipes & Ideas

My kids started school today, so I thought it was a great time to post some breakfast recipes and ideas. Over the summer I have gotten my children to stop eating cold cereal- mostly because I don't think it is healthy enough or hearty enough for a good start to their day. Here are some of the things we have been eating instead.

Muesli- (pictured above with rainier cherries & walnuts)- This is something my mom always made for us with whatever fresh fruit we had.
You just put raw oats in a bowl, add milk, fresh fruit, and nuts. Then eat it. You can let it soak for a couple of minutes to soften the oats, but we like to eat it right away.
Some of my favorite combinations- fresh peaches, pecans and a little bit of brown sugar
shredded apple with cinnamon & almonds
Recipe for Strawberry Pancakes
* I used low-fat buttermilk instead of milk and 1 Tbls olive oil instead of melted butter

Banana-Peanut Butter Breakfast Pizza- mash a ripe banana with a couple Tbls of peanut butter. Spread it on a tortilla. Sprinkle with fresh fruit. Cut into slices
Hot cereal with different grains- Oatmeal, brown rice, quinoa, amaranth (amaranth pictured above with fresh sweet cherries & cashews)
Whole Wheat Toast, Egg & Veggie Scramble- Saute some veggies (I used bell peppers & spinach). Scramble eggs (I added fresh thyme). Make whole wheat toast. Cut the toast and add the veggies/eggs. Eat


Smoothies-
I keep frozen banana slices in the freezer and then add blueberries, strawberries, peaches or whatever fruit we have & a little milk. You can also add flaxseed meal, nut butter, or a handful of spinach to up the nutrition level.

Whole grain/wheat toast/english muffin/tortilla with nut butter and fresh fruit or whole fruit spread
- I really like Crofter's Superfruit Spread and Simply Fruit

hard boiled egg

breakfast sandwich or wrap- with english muffin, toast, or tortilla, eggs and sometimes turkey sausage & veggies

apple with almond/ peanut butter

Breakfast Banana Split

egg in the microwave- it only takes about 38 seconds to cook an egg just right

fresh fruit, granola & yogurt

muffins (make a double batch and freeze some- they microwave great)

top your waffles and/or pancakes with natural applesauce & nut butter/fruit

For other breakfast ideas check out the Breakfast recipes I have posted in the past.

This morning I made Quick Cinnamon Biscuits for the first day of school as a special treat, using about 1 cup of half & half instead of the heavy cream.

I'm thinking of making a schedule for school days, so I know exactly what I am making for breakfast each day. For example- Monday- hot cereal w/ fruit & nuts, Tuesday-egg based breakfast, Wednesday-smoothie or yogurt/fruit, egg or toast on the side, Thursday- muffins, pancakes or waffles, Friday- hot cereal.

What is your favorite go-to breakfast? What other breakfast ideas do you have?


Today is the last day to enter my giveaway, so head over& comment to get some free stuff!

6 comments:

Eliana said...

I'd take one of these hearty breakfasts any day over cold cereal. They all look awesome.

Anonymous said...

I love the breakfast pizza idea!

grace said...

That Muesli sounds like a great idea. I wish I had breakfasts like these when I was a youngster heading off to school!

Becky said...

We eat cinnamon rolls often for breakfast - I make them the night before and just heat them up in the morning.

Michele said...

I am new to your blog. My friend Jamie told me I should check it out and I love it. Your food is right up my alley. I love your breakfast ideas, we do some of the same things. I'm looking forward to reading more.

sweetluvininthekitchen.blogspot.com

Jaime said...

great ideas! you are so talented, I am going to try your granola recipe w/ yougurt and fruit for them next week!