Tuesday, August 17, 2010

TWD-Oatmeal Breakfast Bread

Natalie of Oven Love chose today's TWD recipe, Oatmeal Breakfast Bread. You can find the recipe on her blog HERE.
My father-in-law left a large bag of fresh figs on my doorstep one day, that he had picked from the fig tree in his backyard. I have never had fresh figs (they are so delicious), so I decided to let them play a part in this breakfast bread.

I like muffins better than loaves, so I halved the recipe and made jumbo muffins. I got 6 muffins out of a half recipe.
I sliced some fresh figs, quartered some, and halved others- out of curiosity, to see which method would work better with the brown sugar-nut topping.
The halved figs sunk into the muffins, while the slices and quarters stayed on top, getting sticky and soft.
I left out the chopped, dried fruit that was supposed to be mixed into the batter because I used the figs.

These oatmeal muffins were really delicious. Especially with the figs on top.
This is definitely a recipe I will make again.
See what all the other TWD-er's thought about this breakfast bread by checking out their links HERE!

And don't forget to enter my giveaway, which is open until Thursday at midnight!

17 comments:

Paula said...

I like the muffins with the figs on top too. Very interesting. Have never tasted fresh figs myself. Anything like fig newtons?? Probably much better.

Pamela said...

Those are so pretty! Beautiful job, Mary Ann.

Sabrina said...

Those figs look amazing! So pretty and tasty!

Natalie said...

I love the figs! I wanted to use figs, too, but I couldn't find any. Thanks for baking with me!

Eliana said...

This looks like it would make for a perfect breakfast, and much better than the Cherrios I just had a little while ago.

Flourchild said...

Oh my gosh would I have loved to added figs to my bread..wish I would have thought of that. Next to Oatmeal figs is one of my favs!
Your pictures are perfect and I seriously could eat one(the muffins) right now!:))

Shandy said...

Those fresh figs look AMAZING! Adding the figs to the breakfast bread sounds like a great treat. YUM!

Jeannette said...

Those are the prettiest figs i've ever seen! What a great muffin!

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking said...

Very pretty!! These muffins look so hearty and tasty!

Unknown said...

i'm so jealous of your figs! i have never had fresh figs... boo. but they look like the perfect addition to this bread!

Anonymous said...

Lovely pictures and hadn't even thought about figs! YUM.

Jennifer said...

Wow! Your bread looks stunning!

Rachel (Two Healthy Plates) said...

Hi, this is my first time running across your blog but I'm excited to keep reading. I love the recipes you are making and your photos are beautiful!

Hindy said...

I used dried figs but fresh one look so much better!

The Food Librarian said...

Oh! Yum!!! I love fresh figs and these are perfect! - mary

steph- whisk/spoon said...

how lucky to have a bag of fresh figs...they made for beautiful muffins!

TeaLady said...

Figs look tasty in this.