Tuesday, July 13, 2010

TWD- Brrr-ownies

Tuesdays with Dorie is brought to you today by Karen, who blogs over at Welcome to our Crazy Blessed Life. You can find the recipe for this week's recipe, Brrrrr-ownies, on her blog. Brrrr-ownies happen to be Dorie's take on a brownie that is chock full of chopped Peppermint Patties.

I wasn't going to make these, mostly because I have made something very similar- Martha Stewarts Mint-filled Brownie Cupcakes, many, many times (my son requests them all the time) and also because I could care less about brownies.

But, when I asked my kids what treat they wanted for our weekly Family Home Evening, my 8 year old son yelled out "Peppermint Brownies" and he had no idea that these were the assignment for this week. He just loves brownies.

So, we went to the store and bought some York Peppermint Patties and threw these babies together.
Easy, peasy.

I skipped the double boiler method and just melted my butter and chocolate on the stovetop. That is how we always made brownies when I was growing up, so I figured it would be fine.
I also used semi-sweet chocolate instead of bittersweet, because that is what I happened to have on hand. Because I used semi-sweet I reduced the sugar in the brownie by quite a few Tablespoons.

I mixed up the rest of the batter, added the chopped patties and smoothed my batter into the foil-lined pan. I skipped out on the butter and just used baking cooking spray with flour to coat my foil.

These brownies were like volcanos! The mint blobs were bubbling and exploding like crazy. We turned on the oven light and watched. Great entertainment.

My kids loved these. They reported that they were chewy, gooey, sticky, and delicious.
I thought they were ok.
Honestly, I would rather just eat Peppermint Patties, but I don't like brownies, so who am I to judge?

To see who else participated this week and what they thought about these Brrrrr-ownies, check out the TWD Leave Your Link for this week!
,

14 comments:

Bella Baker said...

They look amazing and so great that the kids loved them! I happened to enjoy these I lot more than I had expected!

Katrina said...

Mine bubbled up like crazy, too. These were not my favorite, but they will get eaten here at our house.

Anne said...

I'm glad your family liked these but still can't believe you don't like brownies. I wish I didn't, though! :) They are a serious temptation around here!

Kayte said...

Looks great, especially on that lovely plate. So funny the request matched the assignment!

Peggy said...

I can't believe you aren't a brownie fan. I live for brownies! Glad your kids loved them.

Tia said...

i'm a microwave chocolate melter :)
looks great... too bad you dont like brownies!

Kimberly Johnson said...

Your brownies look wonderful!

Marthe said...

I don't like mint, but made these anyway: knew someone would eat these and they did and loved them!

Unknown said...

oh these look so super gooood

Welcome to our crazy blessed life said...

Glad these provided such good entertainment. :) They look delicious! Thanks for baking with me this week!

Susan said...

Great looking brownies! Mine bubbled up too. But, the hubby loved them. He's already asked when I will make them again. :)

Eliana said...

They look so moist and delicious.

Rachel said...

Ha I usually don't love brownies either, but I was a little obsessed with these. Yours look great!

Pamela said...

I still love you...even if you don't LOVE brownies. ;o) They look great and I'm glad the family enjoyed them.