Sunday, July 11, 2010

Beet Carpaccio

I absolutely love going to the Farmer's Market.
A couple of weeks ago I was lucky enough to get one of the participants' last bunch of chioggia beets. I was so excited, I could hardly stand it.
It was the day before father's day, so I knew that I would be working these beets into the menu somehow.

I love beets cold or warm, raw or cooked, so I was looking for a interesting, new way to serve them.
I don't remember exactly how I found this recipe for Beet Carpaccio, but it looked delicious and I knew it would be a fun way to enjoy our beautiful beets.
This dish has you boil the beets until slightly tender, then the beets are thinly sliced and layered on toasted baguette slices. Cheese, herbs and olive oil are sprinkled/drizzled on top to finish them off.

I used feta cheese instead of blue cheese since that is what I had in my fridge and I knew that beets taste really good with feta.
I also used fresh thyme as the herb for seasoning.

This turned out to be a beautiful and very yummy appetizer. A perfect choice.

(Carpaccio refers to the slicing the beets thinly in this dish. Traditionally carpaccio is a dish of raw meat or fish, thinly sliced, but it is sometimes seen now to mean thinly sliced, and can be used to describe fruits, vegetables, etc.)



Recipe for Beet Carpaccio
* I used fresh thyme to top my beets
* I used feta cheese instead of blue cheese

7 comments:

Eliana said...

Love the color. Looks gorgeous.

Unknown said...

I get this was really great, And i think I will steal...I mean borrow this idea.

Delicious Dishings said...

This is such a beautiful dish!

I'd love it if you'd participate in my farmers' market roundup!

heather said...

Yum! So simple and so so pretty!

Unknown said...

Valuable information and excellent post you got here! I would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts and time into the stuff you post!! Thumbs up! Big thanks for the useful info.,


Wall-mounted Range Hoods

Unknown said...

god that looks filling, the best thing about these things is that they are not only nutritious but filling too. they help you remain healthy and avoid putting on weight. i love them

Jake B. said...

Oh my word... This looks amazingly tasy.