Saturday, July 3, 2010

Watermelon Blueberry Pops

Me and the kids just got back from a little vacation. One of my best friends was here visiting me and we decided to drive to DC to visit my sister and some other friends. On the way back we went to Savannah and then arrived home yesterday.

In DC they were already getting ready for the 4th of July festivities. It reminded me of the great time we had there last year celebrating the 4th.

On a side note- my sister took us to eat at Zaytinya in downtown DC and it was fantastic. It features small plates and great flavors. If you are in the area, you should definitely give it a try.
A couple of weeks ago I made these Watermelon Blueberry Pops.
I had been waiting for a good price so that I could buy a watermelon and the one I finally picked was amazingly delicious. It reaffirmed my belief that I could live on watermelon alone.
I saw this recipe in Ellie Krieger's So Easy Cookbook and these popsicles really were just that- so easy.
You just have to puree watermelon chunks (making sure you don't eat the entire watermelon in the process) with a little powdered sugar and lime juice.
Then you put the mixture in popsicle molds or plastic cups and drop in blueberries.
I wish I would have made these in popsicle molds because they were slightly difficult to eat due to the large size. They were still delicious though.

The fun part is that in the freezer a white layer forms at the top of the popsicle and makes this frozen treat truly patriotic looking.

Perfect treat for a hot afternoon or sticky summer night!

Watermelon Blueberry Pops adapted from Ellie Krieger's So Easy
3 cups cubed seeded watermelon (from about 2 pds with the rind)
2 Tbls fresh lime juice
2 Tbls confectioner's sugar
1 cup blueberries

Puree the watermelon, lime juice, and sugar in a blender.
Distribute the blueberries among six 8-ounce popsicle molds or paper cups, then fill each with the watermelon mixture and place in freezer.
If using paper cups, place a popsicle stick in the center of each cup after a 1/2 hour in the freezer.
Allow to freeze completely, about 4 hours.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Look at those cuties! So sweet.

I visited D.C. and loved Zaytinya as well! Funny story -- we asked what our waiter would most recommend and he said (no joke) the BRUSSELS SPROUTS small plate. We're trusting folks, so even though we were skeptical, we ordered it. Sure enough, it was the best thing we'd eaten all nice. Simply amazing!

Anyone who can do that with Brussels sprouts is okay in my book!

Kayte said...

Nothing screams summer like a child with a cooling treat like this! So cute...your little girl looks so much like you, such fun! Sounds like you had a wonderful trip...have you recovered from all that driving yet?

Fantastic Mr. R said...

Those are adorable, especially with those darling little models. Happy Fourth to you and yours, Mary Ann!

Unknown said...

Sure- you will drive to DC but not Tooele??? lol

Um hey.... got stuff to tell you.

Audrey and the Boys said...

YUM!!
We'll have to try those soon! I think I might make them in a muffin tin with a popsicle stick stuck in.

Kerstin said...

Awww, what cute pics :) This look so refreshing -yum!