Monday, July 26, 2010

Plum and Raspberry Upside-Down Cake

I know in my last post I said I don't like cooked fruit in desserts, but cake sometimes can make me change my mind.

I made this for our 4th of July dinner, along with the cherry tart.
While the overall flavor was good, I had a few problems with the way this turned out.

The recipe says to prepare this in a springform pan and then to bake it on a baking sheet, in case any juice happens to leak out of the pan.
The problem is, that all the juice leaks out of the pan. The sugar/butter mixture that is supposed to stay at the bottom of the pan and get all nice and caramelized when it combines with the juice from the fruit, well, unfortunately, it all wasted away and got stuck to my cookie sheet.

The cake still tasted good, but the fruit was definitely missing the "upside-down" part of the process.

So, if you are going to make this, I would suggest using a tall cake pan, with at least 2-inch sides. And to make sure the batter fits on top, I would suggest a 9-inch pan.

I was slightly disappointed with how this turned out, but the cake has a fabulous taste and lots of potential.

Recipe for Plum and Raspberry Upside-Down Cake

3 comments:

Eliana said...

I'm not a cookied fruit kinda girl either so I may have to give it a try. It's looks delicious.

Tanja said...

I recently made an upside-down peach cake from Rose Levy Beranbaum's cookbook, but the juice didn't leak out! It was butter, sugar and peach juice all cooked together. It only leaked a little where the pan opens, but that was a really small amount. Maybe you should try that recipe, I think a plum and raspberry cake is featured in the cookbook too.
At least it tasted great! :)

Tanja

Katie said...

I love the dark ruby red colour of this. Looks delicious!