Tuesday, August 12, 2008

TWD- Dorie's Blueberry Sherbet and not Dorie's Blueberry-Strawberry Frozen Yogurt

This week's recipe, Blueberry Sour Cream Ice Cream, was chosen by Dolores over at Chronicles in Culinary Curiosity. I made that Ice Cream for the 4th of July, to go along with that delicious Blueberry Pie. So for the recipe, go to Dolores' blog or go to this post when I made it 6 weeks ago. I was planning on making it again because it really is that good and I think making homemade ice cream is easy. But, then, as I was thumbing through a cookbook, I saw a recipe that was Dorie's, that she gave to her friend Nick Malgieri, and it was for Blueberry Sherbet. I decided that I would make that and it could still count since it was a Dorie recipe and I wasn't really trying to get out of making the ice cream, since I have already made it. Too much info? Sorry.
I decided that as long as I was making sherbet, I might as well make frozen yogurt too, since there was a recipe I had been wanting to make that I saw it in the local paper. It didn't require the ice cream maker, so I threw them both together and we did a taste test. The kids preferred the sherbet because it was slightly sweeter. I liked both, but liked the yogurt a little bit more, since it wasn't as sweet. The straining step is essential in the sherbet recipe, I think because it uses frozen berries, the skins don't puree as well. In the picture below, the sherbet is on the left (no visible skins or seeds) and the frozen yogurt is on the right.
In the picture below, the frozen yogurt is on the left and the sherbet is on the right.

Confusing? Maybe, but very tasty! Go to the TWD Blogroll to see all the other delicious ice cream!
"A gift from my friend Dorie Greenspan, author of the award winning Baking with Julia. this recipe uses frozen berries...."

Dorie's Bluberry Sherbet found in Perfect Light Desserts by Nick Malgieri and
David Joachim
1 cup water
1 cup 2% reduced-fat milk
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 Tbls light corn syrup
1/3 cup strained lemon juice
1-pd bag frozen blueberries, thawed
1-Combine the water, milk, sugar and corn syrup in a medium saucepan and whisk to mix. Place over medium heat and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.
2- Pour the syrup into a bowl and cool it to room temperature. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and chill the syrup until it is very cold.
3- Stir the lemon juice and blueberries into the syrup.
4- Puree the mixture in batches in a blender. Strain the mixture to remove the skins and seeds.
5- Freeze the mixture in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's directions.
6- While the sherbet is churning, place a bowl in the freezer. Empty the churned sherbet into the bowl as you remove it from the ice cream maker. Press plastic wrap against the surface and freeze the sherbet.
Texture is best if served within 24 hours.
Blueberry Frozen Yogurt
3 cups fresh blueberries (I used 2 cups blueberries, 1 cup strawberries)
2/3 cup sugar
2/3 cup water
2/3 cup plain yogurt (I used Greek yogurt)

In a saucepan, bring sugar and water to a boil, stirring to dissolve sugar. Let cool completely. Wash and stem blueberries and puree with yogurt. Mix with the syrup mixture.
Freeze in a shallow metal cake pan for 4 hours or until firm (only took 2 1/2 hours, I used a 9 by 13-inch pan). Break into chunks; puree in food processor. Pack into airtight containers and refreeze for 4 hours or until firm or for up to 2 days.

29 comments:

Marie Rayner said...

Frozen yoghurt, sherbet, wow! THey both look absolutely delicious! I miss frozen yoghurt over here. It's not something that the British do. I can't believe I had never thought of making my own until now! Thanks for the inspiration!

Nancy/n.o.e said...

A taste test! So scientific! I'd pick the frozen yogurt. In fact, now that I found my ice cream maker (too late for this challenge!) I think I'd sub greek yogurt for the sour cream in Dorie's recipe...

Nancy
The Dogs Eat the Crumbs

Teanna DiMicco said...

They both look gorgeous! And are healthier options than 3/4 c. sour cream and 3/4 c. heavy cream! nice work!

Melissa said...

Both the sherbet and the frozen yogurt sound delicious and much more healthy. Great ideas!

Maria said...

I can't wait to try the sherbet! It looks amazing!! Great job!

Anonymous said...

Ooh, very, very tasty looking. I love the idea of blueberry frozen yogurt.

Ben said...

Two recipes and they both look delicious- nice job!

NKP said...

They looks absolutely wonderful. How nice to have 2 variations of the theme. I'll take a double scoop, in a sugar cone.

Sarah said...

Wow...that is a lot of frozen goodness! The colors are great!

LyB said...

So many cool things to make with blueberries, it's nice to have choices. :) Your frozen treats look delicious.

Prudy said...

Can I have a scoop of both, please? Make it a double for both because they look sooo good.

Christine said...

Yum frozen sherbet and yogurt sounds delicious! Everything looks delicious!

Kayte said...

Okay, I am trying this...this looks absolutely beautiful and delicious. Thanks for sharing!

www.grandmaskitchentable.typepad.com

Lori said...

both look great to me! i'd have a bite of the yogurt for the tang, and then i'd need a bite of sherbet (you know, sweet to balance the tang) which would make me crave a bite of the yogurt.....and then, big hips. :)

Flourchild said...

Very good looking yogurt! I would like it better than ice cream.

Di said...

I think it's great that you did a comparison. I love doing things like that. Nice job!

Engineer Baker said...

All I see is really tasty frozen desserts. Lovely.

Aggie said...

These both look great!! Look at that color! I bet your kids were loving you for this!

Erin said...

Both of these look great! I'd love to try the frozen yogurt

Susie Homemaker said...

Just HAD to go ad outdo me, huh? 2 varieties? You rock.

marae said...

how fun are you with your sherbert AND frozen yogurt?! i ended up with sorbet cream or something like it hehee. looks WONDERFUL!

Anonymous said...

Wow. I have been wanting to try homemade frozen yogurt. You have inspired me.

Jenny said...

I am loving the great color from your sherbet and yogurt. It all looks great to me!

Sherry Trifle - Lovely Cats said...

Sherbet's good. Very attractive presentation. Thank you for the book recommendation.

Pamela said...

I have that cookbook, too! I've only made a couple of things out of it, but I did notice the sherbet recipe. Both the sherbet and fro-yo look great, but I sort of like the way the seeds look in the frozen yogurt. Great job.

Eleganza Strings/ The DeLadurantey Family said...

MMM great idea!

Jules Someone said...

Lovely! I think I would have preferred the sherbet. Though my ice cream tasted like frozen yogurt.

Sharon said...

Yum!

Dolores said...

I'd be hard-pressed to choose; they *both* look yummy.