Tuesday, April 1, 2008

TWD- Gooey Chocolate Cakes

This week's recipe was chosen by Leigh over at Lemon Tartlet. Thanks for the opportunity to try a delicious and truly simple, little cake. These individual cakes were perfect for my little brother's birthday. I whipped them up after dinner and we enjoyed them very soon afterwards. This recipe really was a quick and easy!



Looks like a chocolate muffin, but there is a surprise waiting inside





Gooey Chocolate Cake
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
¼ teaspoon salt
5 ounces bittersweet chocolate,
4 ounces coarsely chopped,
1 ounce very finely chopped
1 stick (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter, cut into 8 pieces
2 large eggs, at room temperature
1 large egg yolk, at room temperature
6 tablespoons of sugar




Getting ready: Center a rack in the oven and preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. butter (or spray – it’s easier) 6 cups of a regular-size muffin pan, preferably a disposable aluminum foil pan, dust the insides with flour and tap out the excess. Put the muffin pan on a baking sheet.
Sift the flour, cocoa and salt together.
Set a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of gently simmering water, put the coarsely chopped chocolate and the butter in the bowl and stir occasionally over the simmering water just until they are melted – you don’t want them to get so hot that the butter separates. Remove the bowl from the pan of water.
In a large bowl, whisk the eggs and yolk until homogenous. Add the sugar and whisk until well blended, about 2 minutes. Add the dry ingredients and, still using the whisk, stir (don’t beat) them into the eggs. Little by little, and using a light hand, stir in the melted chocolate and butter. Divide the batter evenly among the muffin cups and sprinkle the finely chopped chocolate over the batter.

Bake the cakes for 13 minutes. Transfer them, still on the baking sheet, to a rack to cool for 3 minutes. (There is no way to test that these cakes are properly baked, because the inside remains liquid.)
Line a cutting board with a silicone baking mat or parchment or wax paper, and, after the 3-minute rest, unmold the cakes onto the board. Use a wide metal spatula to lift the cakes onto dessert plates.




Dorie mentioned in her "playing around" options, that you could fill the muffin tins halfway and then sprinkle toasted nuts, chopped chocolate, or any flavor of chip onto the batter and then, continue filling the tins, for a little surprise in the middle. I thought that would make these gooey cakes a little more fun, so I sprinkled Heath Toffee bits in the middle of 3 of the cakes and chopped Andes mints, in the middle of the other 3. I also used semi-sweet chocolate in the cakes, so they wouldn't be as dark.


I served these with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and a of sprinkle toffee bits or chopped mints on top. Everyone loved them. I thought they were the perfect size and very delicious. Nothing but compliments from all those who devoured the gooey cakes.



I had to post these shots of my 1 year old, who was more interested in the ice cream than the cakes. Pretty Humorous!


























29 comments:

April said...

Your cakes look great! And what a sweet little girl!

Mari said...

Nice looking gooey cakes, well done! I totally understand your daughter's love of ice cream, btw!

Gretchen Noelle said...

Mmmm...heath bar and mints. How delicious!

Anne said...

So gooey, those look awesome! The toffee and mint options sound amazing too. Great job!

Mary said...

cute daughter pics! i was wondering about andes mints because I love mint chocolate anything....sounds delicious!

Shari said...

Heath toffee bits is a great idea! The pictures of your daughter are great! Wouldn't we all love to stick our head in a tub of vanilla ice cream now and then!

Donna said...

Looks divine! Great idea with the toffee bits! I'll have to try that next time.

I can't decide which is cuter, the cakes or your little girl!

Donna

Annemarie said...

The toffee bits were a genius touch!! btw, I am sooo with you on the cardamom...mmmmm!

Madam Chow said...

The baby pictures win, even though your cakes look great!
Madam Chow's Kitchen
http://mzkitchen.com/

Amy W said...

The shots of your daughter? Hilarious! Glad to see your cakes looked like mine :).

Marie Rayner said...

Ohh you got some great goo going on there! Mine were more fudgy than gooey, but they did taste delicious, especially with a drizzle of muscovado toffee sauce and some clotted cream!! I love the pictures of your little sweetheart! She's precious!

Erin said...

Looks great! I bet it was delicious with the toffee bits!

Unknown said...

I vote for you to make dessert at our reunion

LyB said...

Ah, to be one year old and be able to put both hands in a tub of vanilla ice cream and still manage to be cute! Your cakes look deliciously gooey and rich!

noskos said...

Great looking cakes!!

Rebecca of "Ezra Pound Cake" said...

Oh, that middle looks so good. Yum!

Rebecca
http://www.ezrapoundcake.com

Robin said...

Your cakes came out great and your niece is adorable!

Heather B said...

Very nice looking gooey cakes! I'm jealous of all of the oozing chocolate!

Tammy said...

great cakes and gorgeous wee girl!!!

Katrina said...

I love the idea of the toffee chips! Yours look scrumptious!

Joy the Baker said...

Great looking cakes! You're got really gooey! Mine were more fudgey, but I wasn't complaining! Also... your little one is pretty much a rock star! Going straight in for the ice cream with the hands. She knows how to get it done!

Dianne's Dishes said...

A surprise inside! I love it! Your cakes look fabulous and the ice cream pictures are just too cute!

Judy said...

The cakes look delicious. I like the idea of the toffee pieces.

Audrey and the Boys said...

I can't wait to make these! Could you put them in ramekins?

Anonymous said...

She's so adorable! Your cakes ain't slouches either, and I love the changes you made!

Thistlemoon said...

What a sweet picture of your little one! I am like her - I will take ice cream over chocolate any day - but I thing together they are the best:)

Welcome to The Foodie Blogroll! :)

Dolores said...

Well she *clearly* knows what she likes. :) Great job with this week's assignment. I'd be torn between the toffee bits and the andes...

The Clanton Gang said...

YUMMY!! How do you bake every week and stay skinny? I'd be as big as a house if I baked as much. I'm jealous!!

Mary Ann said...

I wouldn't go as far as to say that I am skinny, but right now I am training for a half-marathon (two more weeks) and the great thing about living close to my teenage brothers and parents, is that there is usually only enough for one portion of everything I make for me to taste because my brothers devour it in minutes!