Thursday, April 17, 2008

Sauteed Spinach with Mushrooms and Turkey Bacon

This is one of my favorite side dishes. It is healthy, quick and easy. I came up with it and make it whenever I have leftover spinach, but I also buy spinach specifically to make it. My husband and kids love it and always want more. I always use turkey bacon in anything that calls for bacon because it is healthier and it reduces the amount of fat or oil you need to add to the dish. That is one reason I love this recipe because you don't have to add any oil or fat, the turkey bacon has enough yummy stuff to wilt the spinach and make this delicious.

Sauteed Spinach with Mushrooms and Turkey Bacon
9 slice turkey bacon, cut into bite-size pieces
1-2 cups sliced mushrooms
10 oz bag baby spinach
juice of 1/2 lemon
salt and pepper

Cook turkey bacon in a skillet over medium-high for a few minutes, until starts to brown. Add mushrooms and cook for a few more minutes, until bacon is getting crispy and mushrooms are tender. Add spinach in bunches, stirring and turning it over to wilt and mix with mushrooms and bacon. Squeeze juice from lemon over the mixture and stir. Add the remaining spinach and cook just until slightly wilted. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately, tastes best warm.

0 comments: