Friday, April 4, 2008

Crispy Tilapia Sandwiches

My fish preparing stations

Nice and Golden Brown


I saw this recipe in Cooking Light and knew I had to try it. My kids and my husband love tilapia and we are trying to eat more fish.
I changed this recipe quite a bit because I don't like mayo and the original sauce called for mayo. Also, I added ground pecans to the coating because nut crusted fish is the best! I also removed the red onions from the toppings because they can be a little too spicy for the kids.
This turned out a little mild, but it was perfect for the kids. No complaints. I even made a couple extra fish fillets and just warmed them in the broiler, so they would get crispy, for dinner another night.
When I make this again, I think I will make a separate sauce for the adults with a little more kick and add more spices to the adult portions of fish. It was good and very easy.
Crispy Tilapia Sandwiches
4 Tbls plain yogurt
4 Tbls honey mustard
25 saltine crackers
1/2 cup pecans
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
6 (5-ounce) tilapia fillets
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup egg substitute
4 tablespoons canola oil
6 whole wheat hoagie rolls, toasted
8 (1/4-inch-thick) slices tomato
6 romaine leaves
1. Combine plain yogurt and honey mustard in a small bowl.
2. Place crackers in a food processor; process until looks like fine crumbs. Place crumbs in a shallow dish. Place pecans in food processor; process until looks like fine crumbs and add the saltines. Combine with fingers.
3. Place flour in another shallow dish. Sprinkle fish with salt and pepper. Dredge 1 fillet in flour. Dip in egg substitute; dredge in crumbs. Repeat procedure with remaining 5 fish fillets, flour, egg substitute, and crumbs.
3. Heat 2 Tbs oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add 3 fish fillets to pan; cook 4 minutes on each side or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork or until desired degree of doneness. Repeat with remaining fish.
4. Spread 1 1/2 teaspoons sour cream mixture on each half of 4 rolls; place 1 fish fillet on bottom half of each roll. Top each serving with 2 tomato slices, 1 romaine leaf,
and top half of roll.

2 comments:

Audrey and the Boys said...

Looks yummy! I never make anything that interesting for lunch.

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy to see the spiced tart dough and I LOVE the cookies! Nice work!