Thursday, April 3, 2008

Hearty Beef and Potato Casserole

I joined the Foodie Blogroll! Check it out on the sidebar of my blog. It is a place where you can browse over 1000 foodie blogs! If you have a food blog, sign up!

This dish is one that I have made over and over and over again. It is a great one to take to someone that needs dinner and that is why I made it last night. We took it to a woman who had just had a baby. Everything is pre-packaged (which I don't usually like) but, when you are doing double duty, it comes in handy. Plus, it is meat and potatoes, which most people like. I steam green beans and make a quick loaf of bread and you have your meal. This time I even made a banana cake, but I will get to that later!

Hearty Beef and Potato Casserole ( from Parents magazine)
1 package (5.1 oz.) scalloped potatoes
1/2 cup milk
2 Tbs. butter
8 oz. sliced fresh carrots
1 pkg. (17 oz.) precooked beef tips with gravy
1 can (14 1/2 oz.) Italian-style diced tomatoes, drained
1 Tbs. red-wine vinegar
2 Tbs. Italian seasoned bread crumbs
Vegetable cooking spray

Heat oven to 425 degrees. In a large glass bowl, prepare scalloped potatoes for baking (using 2 cups boiling water, 1/2 cup milk, and 2 Tbs. butter). Place bowl in microwave and cook 5 minutes; stir and cook 5 minutes more. Set aside.
In a medium bowl, microwave carrots and 1 Tbs. water, covered, for 5 minutes.

In a 1 1/2- or 2-quart baking dish, stir together beef, cooked carrots, drained tomatoes, and vinegar. Spoon potato mixture over beef mixture, and sprinkle with bread crumbs. Spray top with vegetable cooking spray. Bake 15 to 20 minutes, until hot and bubbly.



1 comments:

Audrey and the Boys said...

I'll have to keep this one on hand for those meals for new babies and their moms!