Monday, May 2, 2011

Rhubarb Sorbet

Rhubarb, Rhubarb- I love you, Rhubarb! I grew up eating lots of rhubarb and every Spring when it makes an appearance, I try to decide what I want to make with these precious stalks.

I've been on quite a sorbet kick lately and had been wanting to try Rhubarb sorbet for quite awhile, so that is the first thing that I did with my rhubarb.
Sorbet has got to be one of the easiest desserts to make. This one is no exception. Chop a few things, throw them in a pan, let it cool and churn away. You don't even have to churn if you don't have an ice cream maker. You can freeze and stir with a fork and then puree in the food processor. I used that method last time.

This recipe contains fresh ginger and orange zest, so there is a complexity of flavors, but you can really taste the rhubarb shining through. I did not strain my puree, because I hate to waste any of the rhubarb and I like the bite you get from a little piece of ginger sometimes.
I do wish I would have reduce the amount of sugar I added though. The finished product was just a tad bit too sweet. One of rhubarb's best qualities is that tart flavor and the sugar took too much of that away. But, that is just my opinion, of course!

Here is the recipe for Rhubarb Sorbet from Simply Recipes
* I didn't strain the ginger and rhubarb pulp out of my sorbet
* If I make this again, I will add less sugar- it was just a little bit too sweet


3 comments:

Blog is the New Black said...

Never had rhubarb anything... great place to start! ;)

Unknown said...

I really want to try this! I was worried it might be too tart for me but it sounds like if I include all of the sugar I'll be ok.

zeph said...

I've never even thought of making a rhubarb sorbet before. Rhubarb is actually one of my favorite ingredients (in Rhubarb pie :) so i'm definitely going to have to try this.

Thanks for offering this excellent recipe to everyone.