Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Cooking Ligh Virtual Supper Club- Strawberry-Avocado Salsa

Roz chose our theme this month- Spring is Berry-licious Season, for the Cooking Light Virtual Supper Club. Each of us chose a recipe that highlighted some kind of berry and we came up with a delicious menu. Check it out below-

Roz - Pork Medallions with Spicy Pomegranate-Blueberry Reduction

Mary Ann - Strawberry-Avocado Salsa

Jamie - Balsamic Strawberry Topping

Jerry -Raspberry Daiquiris

Val - Mesclun with Berries and Sweet Spiced Almonds


I don't know why I am drawn to wierd salsa combinations, but this strawberry and avocado salsa just seemed so interesting to me that I had to try it. I made it when my parents were here visiting, after my dad bought a large bag of avocados. I made it on a night when we were having tacos for dinner. We tried it with some tortilla chips and it was really good. Even though I forgot to add the sugar! My mother and I added some to top off our tacos and it was a really great addition. I was actually glad that I accidentally left out the sugar because it made the salsa seem savory, with just the right amount of sweetness from the strawberries.


I noticed that a very similar recipe was in the May issue of Cooking Light, but was paired with Cinnamon Tortilla Chips. I am going to have to make it and compare the two.


Make sure you go and see how the rest of the menu turned out!



Here is the recipe for Strawberry-Avocado Salsa from Cooking Light
* I forgot to add the sugar, but I thought it tasted great that way



6 comments:

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

It does look delicious Mary Ann. I would love this to accompany so grilled chicken!!

Unknown said...

very intriguing, and I think the sweet tortilla chips would go great.

Anonymous said...

Interesting - with sweet strawberries you wouldn't need any added sugar. I bet this would be good with grilled chicken.

Audrey and the Boys said...

Wow! What a fun salsa! I just wish I lived at your house every night at dinner time!

Sweet as Coco said...

This looks different and very good! I've mixed fruit with avocado before, but never strawberries! Yum!

Anonymous said...

I agree that with sweet tortilla chips will be perfect :) In my opinion this salad is great if you want to impress your guests :)