Thursday, May 26, 2011

Guacamole Hummus

My daughter has really taken interest in helping me in the kitchen. She has always wanted to help, but now she really wants to get her hands dirty and do it all.
This was the perfect thing for her to help me with. You just dump the ingredients in the food processor and in a few minutes you have a smooth, creamy, delicious dip. It tastes like guacamole, but it acts like hummus. What does that mean? I'm not sure, but it is good.

My hubby doesn't like guacamole, but he really loved this dip. It would be a great spread for a taco, breakfast or sandwiches/wraps too. We enjoyed it with pita chips, bell pepper strips, and carrots.

Guacamole Hummus-Everyday Food

In a food processor

combine 1 can (15.5 ounces) chickpeas, rinsed and drained

3 cups fresh cilantro leaves, (I used half fresh Italian parsley)

1 garlic clove, chopped,

and 1 ripe avocado, roughly chopped.

Process until finely chopped.

With machine running add 3 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil in a slow, steady stream and 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice, then add water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until mixture is smooth. Season to taste with coarse salt and pepper. (I added a dash of cumin)







4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lovely flavors, great idea, Im going to make this for lunch!
Mary

Unknown said...

great idea adding and avocado, I could eat this spread on some toast.

Ma What's 4 dinner said...

I love it!!! How do you make hummus even better? Add avocado! Brilliant!

Lots of yummy love,
Alex aka Ma What's For Dinner
www.mawhats4dinner.com

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

This is amazing. I love the twist on two favourites Mary Ann.