Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Egg in a Basket with Turkey and Asparagus

We eat a lot of asparagus. It is one of the veggies that my kids always ask me to buy, which I think is a little strange because I can remember hating it when I was a kid. Of course I have never told them that, I just buy it, cook it and we all eat it.

When I saw the picture for these Egg in a Basket's' in Ellie Krieger's new cookbook, So Easy, I couldn't wait to make them. They were in the breakfast section of her book, but we had them for dinner.
My mom always used to make the egg in a basket part when I was growing up, so I thought they would be even more delicious with the addition of turkey and asparagus.
They were so good. We all loved them.
I cooked my eggs longer than the recipe said to, because I don't like runny yolks. I made sure my yolks were completely cooked. That is just my personal preference. Feel free to cook your eggs however you want. I know there must be someone out there who likes having the yellow runny stuff all over their plate. They just don't live here.

The best part is the little round cutout of bread that gets all crispy and delicious. We are going to be having this meal again for sure.

oh, and Happy St. Patrick's Day a couple of hours early. We are going to have our traditional green eggs and ham, but this year we are going to have them on homemade biscuits. Not to mention a lovely spinach/arugula salad.
And we are making homemade Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream with fresh mint. I can't wait.
I hope you are wearing green and that you eat at least one green food tomorrow (later today)!
Egg in a Basket with Turkey and Asparagus adapted from So Easy by Ellie Krieger
1 lb asparagus stalks, woody bottoms removed
4 pieces whole-wheat sandwich bread
4 teaspoons butter, melted
6 oz sliced deli turkey, sliced into thin ribbons
4 large eggs
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Steam or blanch the asparagus for a few minutes, until crisp tender.
Slice asparagus into pieces.
Using a 2 or 3-inch cookie cutter, cut a hole in the center of each slice of bread; reserve the cut-outs.
Spray a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray and set over medium-high heat. Cook the turkey slices until they are browned around the edges, about 3 minutes.
Add the asparagus and cook until heated through, about 2 minutes, then season with the pepper.
Transfer the mixture to a plate and cover with foil to keep warm.
Place 2 of the bread slices and cutouts in the same skillet and crack on egg into the hole of each slice.
Cook until the egg whites are set and the bread is toasted on the underside, about 3 minutes. Flip the bread slices and cutouts over and cook an additional minutes. Transfer to a plate.
Repeat with other bread slices, cutouts, and eggs.
Top each bread slice with 1/4 of the turkey/aspargus mixture and a cutout.

7 comments:

Kasha said...

What a fun fresh dish! Yum!
www.grubandstuff.blogspot.com

Meghan said...

This is my kind of breakfast/dinner! I'm surprised your kids like asparagus too - that's great though.

Enjoy your mint chip ice cream; it's my favorite! I made green scrambled eggs with turkey for breakfast :)

Chef Aimee said...

I love eggs in a basket and one of my most memorable meals was having that with the best cook who made it for me. :)

Unknown said...

love that with the asparagus and turkey. My hubby would LOVE this!!! I've bookmarked it so thanks for the idea!

Liz said...

I love this, it's like an amped up version of toad in a hole!

Alyssa said...

I've been eyeing the same picture in her new cookbook too.. now I have to try it!

Kerstin said...

Mmm, what a perfect dish for breakfast or dinner!