Friday, May 4, 2012

Veggie Burger

   I found this recipe in a magazine.  I tore it out and of course, could not, for the life of me, remember what magazine I tore it out of.  Luckily for me, this recipe is all over the internet, so I felt okay about not remembering the specific magazine where I found this in the first place.  I had never heard of The Counter, but from what I've gathered it is a burger place.  There were lots of rave reviews about this Veggie Burger and now I know the reason why.  

I really like how easy this recipe is and the fact that it contains wholesome ingredients. Sometimes Veggie Burgers are full of fillers and wierd things, but not these ones!  The flavor and texture are wonderful.  I made these the day before I cooked them and they were delicious.  My friend who came over for lunch to enjoy these with me, liked them so much that she made them for her family as well.  

Veggie Burger from The Counter
 recipe by executive chef Marc Boussarie

2 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
1 onion, small dice
3 each garlic cloves, minced
2 carrots, grated
1 yellow squash, grated
1 green zucchini, grated
1 ½ cups rolled oats, (instant is fine)
¼ cup cooked black beans
2 tablespoon Italian parsley, chopped
1 egg, beaten
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon paprika
¼ teaspoon black pepper
2 cups all-purpose flour

Directions:
1, In a large skillet, heat the olive oil until almost smoking, Add the onions and lower the heat to medium. Mix and then add the garlic. Cook until tender and soft.
2, Add the carrots, squash and zucchini and season. Cook for about 3 to 4 minutes until soft and hot. Add the black beans, egg, paprika, parsley and oats.
3, Take off heat and mix. Place in a bowl and let rest for 1 to 2 hours.  (or overnight)
4, Form veggie patties to desired size and place in flour to lightly coat.
5, Place a large skillet on the stove on medium high heat,  add olive oil, and when hot place patties. Flip the burger when golden brown, about 3 to 4 minutes and cook the other side the same.

    

3 comments:

Carlia said...

Ooh la la. I love veggie burgers and this one looks excellent!!!!!

Audrey and the Boys said...

I can't wait to make these!

Sue said...

This is our new favorite recipe of the summer! Try it with soy sauce or vidalia onion dressing. This is a good choice when you are looking for creative ways to use those extra zucchini.