Friday, May 18, 2012

Green Chile Tamale Pie


  One of the other pies we had during Pie Week was this Green Chile Tamale Pie.  I was intrigued by the recipe and had never eaten or prepared any sort of Tamale Pie, so it was a new adventure for all of us.  I stuck to the recipe and used ground sirloin (shocker!) instead of subbing in lean ground turkey.  I added some pinto beans and switched up the cheese I used on top, but other than that I stayed pretty close to the recipe.


I had a little bit of trouble with the topping.  The recipe said to "Dollop and spread" it on top of the filling.  I actually had to roll mine out with a rolling pin and then transfer it to the top of the filling.  I had a few little patches that I had to pinch together.  Not too pretty, but it worked.


 I think my entire family was pleasantly surprised by this dish.  It had good flavor and was a fun twist on something we have never really tried before.   A perfect addition to our very fun Pie Week!

Here is the recipe for Green Chile Tamale Pie
* I added a can of drained and rinsed pinto beans to the filling
* I used feta cheese instead of queso fresco 
* I chopped the onion, garlic, tomatillos, and poblano chile in the food processor before added them to the skillet


 

0 comments: