Sunday, June 15, 2008

Cheesecake Pops (again) and Cheescake Cups



Don't get me wrong when I say this, but, when my husband actually requests that I make something, I jump at the chance. (He loves, I mean loves McDonalds. He might single handily keep them in business). He loved the Cheesecake Pops I made back in April for my first Daring Bakers challenge and requested that I make them again for a work BBQ. I agreed and this time made my own little creation with all the leftover cheesecake and let my husband clean out the pan. I used a springform pan this time and it worked better than a cake pan. It was easier the 2nd time as well and here they are!







What to do with all the leftover cheesecake? Make mini cheesecake cups! (recipe below)
Cheesecake Pops (adapted from Jill O' Conner's Sticky, Chewy, Messy Gooey)
Makes 30 – 40 Pops
5 8-oz. packages cream cheese at room temperature
2 cups sugar
¼ cup all-purpose flour
¼ teaspoon salt
5 large eggs
2 egg yolks
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
¼ cup heavy cream
Boiling water as needed
Thirty to forty 8-inch lollipop sticks



Position oven rack in the middle of the oven and preheat to 325 degrees F. Set some water to boil. In a large bowl, beat together the cream cheese, sugar, flour, and salt until smooth. If using a mixer, mix on low speed. Add the whole eggs and the egg yolks, one at a time, beating well (but still at low speed) after each addition. Beat in the vanilla and cream.

Grease a 10-inch cake pan or springform pan ( I found this worked better), and pour the batter into the pan. Place the pan in a larger roasting pan. Fill the roasting pan with the boiling water until it reaches halfway up the sides of the cake pan. Bake until the cheesecake is firm and slightly golden on top, 35 to 45 minutes (mine took alot longer, probably at least an extra 30 minutes- wait until it is slightly golden- you want it firm). Remove the cheesecake from the water bath and cool to room temperature.

Cover the cheesecake with plastic wrap and refrigerate until very cold, at least 3 hours or up to overnight.
When the cheesecake is cold and very firm, scoop the cheesecake into 2-ounce balls and place on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Carefully insert a lollipop stick into each cheesecake ball. Freeze the cheesecake pops, uncovered, until very hard, at least 1 – 2 hours.
When the cheesecake pops are frozen and ready for dipping, prepare the chocolate.
At this point I use Bakers dipping chocolate or Chocolate flavored Almond Bark, because it is already in a little tub and ready to go.
Dip your pops into the melted chocolate and then cover with sprinkles. Place on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper and refrigerate up to 24 hours.

Now, after you scoop all your pops, there will be alot of gooey cheesecake left. This time I decided to make Cheesecake Cups - you will need 2 cups graham cracker crumbs, 6 Tbls melted butter, and a couple Tbls of sugar. Mix these ingredients and press into the bottom of 18 cupcake liners in cupcake pans. With you hands, grab some of the leftover cheesecake and press it onto the graham cracker crust. THIS IS GOING TO BE VERY STICKY! I had to wash my hands after doing 2 or 3 and start again. Freeze until cheesecake is firm. Spread melted baking chocolate or candy coating over cheesecake and decorate with sprinkles. Refrigerate until ready to serve.










3 comments:

Gretchen Noelle said...

Mmmm! I love the idea of the mini cups. I bet those were delicious!

Audrey and the Boys said...

Once again! I wish I were closer!

Ingrid_3Bs said...

I remember those. I never did get around to making them. Thanks for reminding me. Yours look perfect and the little cups almost as cute as the pops!
~ingrid