Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Sounds like Summer- Summer Lemon-Vegetable Risotto

This time around for the Cooking Light Virtual Supper Club, it was my turn to choose the theme. Since we are smack dab in the middle of summer here in Georgia, I decided on Sounds like Summer. The first thing that I really wanted to make was the Shrimp Cobb Salad that was featured on the cover of the June issue of CL. That was the plan until I saw this recipe in the July issue of Cooking Light. I have a love of risotto that is on-going. There just isn't any possible chance that I could pass up one that is chock full of vegetables. Summer veggies? Even better.

This risotto recipe turned out fabulously. I was going to fix the asparagus and sugar snap peas in a different way, but decided to stick to the recipe. I put my asparagus/sugar snap peas in a ice bath after they were done blanching, so they wouldn't lose their bright green color or crispness.

I just wanted to mention also that you really don't have to continuously stir risotto. Here are some of the things I did inbetween stirs- made a fresh corn & tomato salad, thawed shrimp in the sink, made peanut butter frosting, blanched some of the veggies, sauteed the zucchini & summer squash, put together whoopie pies, roasted shrimp, photographed all of the above mentioned food. And, my risotto turned out perfectly creamy and delicious. I also don't warm my broth and it still works perfectly. This risotto had nice hints of lemon and all the veggies made it fabulous.

Let's take a look a how the menu turned out this month. I brought the

Summer Lemon-Vegetable Risotto,

Val -Poached Salmon with Creamy Herb Sauce,

Roz - Chocolate-Amaretti Peaches,

Sandi - Peach Ice Cream,

Jamie - Summer Peach and Tomato Salad,

Jerry - grilled pizza with prosciutto, arugula, and lemon


Once again, I wish that this was not just a virtual supper club- I would really enjoying trying everything on the menu!


Here is the recipe for Summer Lemon-Vegetable Risotto from Cooking Light
* I used low sodium chicken broth instead of the wine & vegetable broth
* I didn't warm my broth- it was added at room temperature


5 comments:

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

I have a love for risotto too Mary Ann and loved this from the moment I saw it. It will be showing up some time this summer for sure.

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

I looooove risotto. This could be my one dish comfort food on a summer's eve!

Anonymous said...

What a delicious looking risotto - a perfect addition to the meal.

Sanghamitra Bhattacherjee(Mukherjee) said...

Risotto is my altime fav. It looks so yummy! Lovely recipe. Thanks for sharing:)
Hope to see you on my blog:)

Jamie said...

Look delicious Mary Ann. I can't believe I have never made risotto. I'm not sure why but it's something I really need to try soon.