When my sister and brother were here visiting in June we had a bunch of blueberries and decided to make these Blueberry Oatmeal Bars. They were so good. Delicious right out of the oven and later, once they had cooled. I sent the leftovers with my husband to work and he kept commenting about how good they were. I didn't take a picture of them because I didn't get a chance.
Then, a few weeks later, we had lots of blueberries from picking at Grandma's, so we made them again. My girls helped measure, mix and stir. They had a blast scraping the batter into the pan and smoothing out the top. Then, they anxiously waited for the timer to go off.
This time, I took a picture and shared them at a dinner. They received rave reviews from everyone who tried one, even a few people who don't like "real" blueberries cooked into desserts.
This recipe is definitely a keeper and it is a fun one to have little ones help you make.
Bert’s Best Blueberry Oatmeal Bars
Adapted from C Is for Cooking
Makes 24 bars
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 cups old-fashioned oats
2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a 13 x 9 baking pan witth aluminum foil. Lightly spray the foil with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt, and set aside.
- In a large bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed, beat together the brown sugar, granulated sugar, and butter until fluffy. Beat in the oil, eggs, and vanilla. With a wooden spoon, mix in the flour mixture until blended. Stir in the oats and blueberries.
- Spread the batter evenly in the prepared pan.
- Bake until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 30 to 35 minutes (or longer). Transfer the pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Lift by the parchment or foil from the pan and cut into 24 bar cookies.