Sunday, October 17, 2010

Vietnamese Salad

The other night when I made this delicious Vietnamese Soup, I decided that I wanted to make it a soup and salad night. I googled vietnamese salad and chose from the different links that came up. I have never looked at Goop before, but this salad sounded perfect because it included lots of the same flavors as the soup.

I had purchased a bunch of baby bok choy at the farmers market the weekend before I made this salad. The combination of the bok choy and napa cabbage made for a really great texture in this salad.
The flavors were unbelieveably delicious. So tasty. My whole family loved this salad.

Vietnamese Salad from Goop

This healthy, quick salad has great crunch and lots of refreshing flavors. It’s wonderful on its own and also takes well to simply prepared proteins; grilled fish, shrimp, chicken or tofu are great.

SERVES: 4
TIME: 15 minutes

  • 4 large bok choy leaves, rough bottoms discarded, stems cut into ¼" bias and leaves shredded (I just sliced these very thinly)
  • 4 big leaves Napa cabbage, shredded (I just sliced these very thinly)
  • 1 bunch watercress (discard thick stems), roughly chopped
  • 1 large carrot, peeled and cut into matchsticks
  • the leaves from about 8 stems each basil, mint, cilantro, roughly chopped
  • ½ small cucumber, thinly sliced on the bias
  • 1 red Thai chili (or more…or less), thinly sliced (I used less - omitting it from the kids)
  • ½ cup roasted, salted peanuts, roughly chopped
  • Vietnamese Dressing (see recipe below)
  • grilled fish, shrimp, tuna, chicken, or tofu for serving (optional)

Toss the bok choy, cabbage, watercress, carrot, herbs, cucumber, chili and ¼ cup of the peanuts together with enough dressing to coat. Serve sprinkled with the remaining peanuts and whatever protein you like.


Vietnamese Dressing

A perfect balance of hot, sour, salty and sweet, this dressing is like a flavor knockout—also a great dip for summer rolls.

SERVES: about 4
TIME: 5 minutes

  • ¼ cup fresh lime juice
  • 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
  • 2 teaspoons soy sauce
  • ¼ cup fish sauce
  • ¼ teaspoon salt
  • ¼ teaspoon hot pepper sesame oil (I used plain sesame oil)
  • 2 tablespoons agave nectar (I used honey)
  • 1 teaspoon minced garlic
  • 1 teaspoon minced ginger
  • 2 tablespoons finely diced red onion or shallot

Mix everything together.



5 comments:

Kayte said...

This looks so good! I need to make this one very soon. Like maybe tomorrow.

GF Gidget said...

I love the dressing recipe! I need to make this with my sister in-law. She would love it!

Anonymous said...

Mare, this looks really good and wonderful to go with the soup.

I am more interested in dressings, these days, than the salad because I am making myself, a collection of good recipes. Thanks for giving me one to add.

Lisa said...

This all sounds so delicious, especially that dressing.

Aggie said...

I just subscribed to Goop! Seems to have lots of cool info and recipes on there. This salad looks so fresh and healthy. I'm craving it.