Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Peanut Butter Banana Bread


This recipe was on the cover on the most recent issue of Cooking Light. Quick breads and muffins are always an easy option when you want to bake something and I wanted to take a treat to my friend, so this recipe seemed perfect.
I had some ripe bananas and I had seen Lori's in-depth review of the bread on her blog, Culinary Covers, so this went onto the calendar as a "definite make".

I made the full recipe but decided to do mini-loaves and muffins, since those are so much easier to share. Plus, I wanted us to be able to try this recipe as well. From the full recipe, I got 8 mini-loaves and 9 muffins. I left the chopped peanuts out of the batter, but sprinkled them on top of some of the loaves and muffins.

This bread was fabulous. I have made almost all of Cooking Light's varieties of banana bread and this was another great one. I didn't think that the peanut butter flavor was extremely noticeable in the bread, but the glaze and chopped nuts on top, really made it seem peanut butter-y.

I would definitely make this again. The person who I shared it with really loved it too.

Recipe for Peanut Butter Banana Bread
* I omitted the chopped peanuts from the batter and sprinkled them on top instead, before baking
* I used skim milk in the icing and added more milk to make it the right consistency. I also added a little bit more powdered sugar.

11 comments:

Aggie said...

My friend made this and shared with me the day the issue came! It was so good!! Yours look wonderful!

Unknown said...

I love this! I'm always looking for new ways to make banana bread. This sounds wonderful!

Michele said...

I love Cooking Light. I have 2 of their cookbooks and think they are great. I've used them a lot. I used to get a subscription as well-I miss it now. I have tried several of their banana breads as well and they always turn out wonderful. In fact, my go-to banana bread recipe is their classic banana bread-it's so moist and delicious. Anyway, I can't wait to try this, we love peanut butter anything around here. Thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

Is it wrong to eat the top off?

Lisa said...

Wow, one look at these and no one could resist. Great twist on banana bread.

Anonymous said...

Starring this one! ;)

Unknown said...

I've wanted to make this bread ever since my issue of Cooking Light came in but I never seem to have all of the ingredients on hand. I'm glad to see you guys liked it so much, perhaps that'll motivate me to get my act in gear and finally make it :)

Pam said...

This is great and a must try!

Eliana said...

These could not look more perfect. They almost look too good to eat.

Natalie said...

This looks fantastic! In my most recent post, I told all my blog readers to come check out your blog. Thanks for all your delicious and healthful recipes.

Kerstin said...

The glaze and topping is making my mouth water - definitely a perfect way to elevate banana bread!