Friday, October 29, 2010

French Fridays with Dorie -Marie-Helene's Apple Cake

This week for French Fridays with Dorie, we made Marie-Helene's Apple Cake.

This cake contains more apples than anything else and I decided it would be perfect as one of the desserts I made for a Fall get-together last week. I was making everything in cupcake form- pumpkin cheesecakes, pumpkin cupcakes, apple cheesecake (by Dorie too- what a great recipe!)- so I decided to turn this cake into cupcakes too.

Dorie suggests using 4 different kinds of apples, so I used Granny Smith, Jazz, McIntosh, and Golden Delicious. I substituted apple cider for the rum in the cake.
My cupcakes baked up in about 30 minutes or so and turned out great. I dusted them with powdered sugar before serving and they were well liked.

Go see who else made this cake and what they thought about it over at French Fridays with Dorie!

You can find the recipe in Dorie's new book- Around my French Table and Here from epicurious.

11 comments:

Marie Rayner said...

Your cupcakes look fabulous Mary Ann!! Great idea! I loved all the apple in these. It went great served warm with a nice dollop of clotted cream melting down into the apples. Scrummy!

Hindy said...

I love that you made cupcakes. They look very elegant.

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

Can you believe that my mom turned me on to this recipe that she saw on a news show. I have plenty of apples in the fridge so it is a must try.

Eliana said...

Love that you made this into cupcakes. They look super delish :)

Kris' Kitchen said...

Such beautiful cupcakes...what a great idea!

Unknown said...

Awesome variation! They're so pretty!

spike. said...

cute cupcakes- I'd end up eating about a million!

Elaine said...

They are such pretty cupcakes and I am sure tasted just as delicious as the cake! I have not tasted Jazz apples before. I think that was what was so good about this recipe is the variety of sweet and tart.

Anonymous said...

Your cupcakes look wonderful. I made cupcakes, too, the second time I did the recipe. More because I made that batch gluten-free (which have a shorter counter life) than for presentation, though they look cute.

Anonymous said...

This came out great as cupcakes. What a special cupcake for someone to get, as dessert.

luciacara said...

Your cupcakes are a great idea! My cake turned out wonderfully but baking into individual servings like you did is really smart since the cake is so moist. Thanks for posting.